chapter six

ANGELIC – CHAPTER SIX

"You cowards! You left us out there on our own! People are dead because you didn't have the guts to do your job!" Jean yelled, barely being held back by Marco. Isabel was on her feet at this point, though she had to be held up, her arm slung over Annie's shoulder.

One of the cadets, covered in blood, jumped out from under the table and threw her body on top of the boy who lay on the ground. "The titans were coming at us from every angle! They overran the supply room, okay!"

"That's no excuse." Isabel spat as she looked down at the cadet. "Do you understand the severity of our situation? Do you know how many of your comrades - your friends died?!"

The room was silent as Isabel pushed herself off of Annie and stood above the brunette, a fury in her eyes that had only been seen when she was slicing up the titans. "We barely made it back alive." Her voice was low, dangerously low as she glared daggers at the girl. "I'm embarrassed to say I was training with you."

"They were everywhere!"

"I don't care!" Isabel yelled loudly. "You should've fought! Gave up your life if you had to! We have lost so many people." Her voice cracked, tears threatening to spill over her cheeks. "It's not all your fault, but, had you fought and succeeded, we wouldn't have lost so many people trying to get back here. Their blood is on your hands."

The room grew silent, all eyes glaring down at the crying cadet. Isabel didn't pity her, she didn't even feel bad, they had been through worse, so much worse.

"Hit the deck!" Reiner yelled from behind her as a loud whistling sound grew louder and louder. Before Isabel could even process what he had said a large head had broken through the wall, grinning at the cadets.

Isabel stumbled back, tripping over her own feet she landed backwards as the ground shook from the weight of the titan. She looked to her left to see she had landed beside Jean, his eyes were focused on the wood between them, Isabel slowly looked down to see his hand had landed on top of hers. She scowled, "get your mitts off of me."

Jean looked back up at her, yanked his hand away and scoffed. "Like I meant to touch you."

The pair turned their attention back to the large hole in the building and the large humanoid creature grinning in at them. "There's too many people, they can smell us." Jean said quietly as a large number of the surviving cadets ran through the back door of the building.

Isabel stared at the titan that looked in, her heart thumping against her chest. This is it, I'm going to die. Her eyes flickered towards her legs as the muscles ached. It's the end of the line. She turned to look up at Jean who was beside her, his face sank. "We're going to die aren't we?" She asked quietly, barely above a whisper.

As the panic grew louder Isabel let out a sigh, she was nowhere near as scared as she had been when the day began. "I think - I think I'm okay with that." She said more to herself than anyone, but Jean had turned his attention to her as she stared back at the titan.

His eyes scanned her face as he tried to process the thought behind her words. Her silver hair had been stained red, cheeks red and blotchy due to her tears, cuts and scuffs on her cheeks and her lips. Was she really going to give up that easily?

"There's no winning, not against them." She whispered, lips curling upwards in a small smile. "I'm okay with it."

"No." Jean said, grabbing her hand and yanking her to her feet, he didn't care that she had winced in pain from the force, they were going to live. He placed his hands on her shoulders and bent down to her level. "You saved me before so I'm going to save you now. We're going to live, got it? I don't want to hear any of that nonsense!"