Part One: The Gunshots

I woke up this morning in a fantastic mood for some reason. I got dressed in a blue, lace blouse, tight, black jeans, and black heels. I had my hair curled and I was ready for work.

I was driving down the busy LA road while listening to "Christmas In Hollis". It was Friday and the party was tonight. I couldn't have been in any better mood than I was at this moment.

I suddenly see the plaza come into sight and I take the exit then go into the parking garage. I parked my car and went into the lobby.

I hummed a Christmas song as the elevator took me up to the 30th floor. When the doors opened I saw the waterfall room decorated with Christmas decorations for tonight's party, and I smiled.

I see Ellis coming my way and I quickly move to my office. He reaches me and I can almost smell the alcohol on him. "Heyyy Scarlett." He says, slurring his words. "Ellis, you're supposed to wait until tonight to get drunk. That's the point of a party." I say as I go in and sit at my desk. "I'm not drunk. I'm tipsy." He says, taking another sip as I roll my eyes.

"So I was thinking. Me, you. Dinner. Tonight. Maybe after, we'll make our way to a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace." He says and I become disgusted at the thought. "Hard pass," I say as I pick up my ringing phone. "You sure? It's your last chance." He asks as he holds himself up with the wall. "Go flirt with Gennaro," I say and he huffs then leaves.

I smirk as I hear my door slam, knowing I've irritated him.

Several Hours Later

I stagger through my dull workday as I listen to the non-stop construction from the floor above me. About the time the party starts, they finally leave and I let out a sigh of relief, knowing I wouldn't have to hear them stomping around during the party. I quickly power off my computer and open my office door to find the party.

The room was full of accountants, businessmen, and stockbrokers. I see a passing waiter with a tray of champagne. I grab a glass and walk out into the sea of people. I see my boss in the crowd and I cross through to speak with him. I then feel somebody knock into me, almost spilling my drink. I turn around to see a man with a rigid figure in a white tank top.

"I'm sorry." The man says. "Hey, you're John Mcclane, right?" I ask excitedly, knowing my best friend's husband has returned. "That would be me. Um, who are you?" He asks, confused as to who I am. "Oh, I'm a good friend of Holly's. Scarlett Schafer." I say as he shakes my hand. "She's out for a second but she should be back soon. I can show you to her office if you'd like?" I ask. "Oh, okay then." He says as he follows me through the crowd.

I open the door and see Ellis snorting something off her desk. "Are you really doing cocaine right now?" I ask. "No, I was making a phone call," Ellis says, trying to play it off.

"You missed some," John says as he motions to his nose, where some of the powdery substance remains. I lightly laugh as Mr. Takagi comes in.

"Mr. Mcclane. How was your flight?" He asks as he shakes John's hand. "Lovely. I'm guessing I have you to thank for that. Mr-" He says, waiting for a response. "Takagi, Joseph Takagi." He says as they shake hands again.

I see Holly come in and a shocked expression hits her face when she sees her husband. "John ." She says in a small tone of voice.

I could sense that this was going to get extremely awkward with Ellis there so I decided to leave the room. "Merry Christmas Holly," I say before I leave and she gives me a small smile. "Merry Christmas Scarlett." She says as I leave.

I go back out into the party and talk with Ginny as the Christmas music plays on. I drink another flute of champagne as Holly comes out of her office, John not following behind her.

I frown, knowing they were probably fighting. I mean her last name was still Genarro after all....

She goes to the top of the stairs and was handed the microphone. I suspect she was getting ready for her yearly Christmas speech so we all looked up at her. "Good evening everyone." She says as the room goes silent and everyone listens.

I hear the elevator ding but nobody pays attention to it. All eyes were on Holly.

She was barely able to get two sentences out before it started. The gunshots......