❦ thirteen.

: cuz I really need somebody, tell me you're that somebody :

☁️ Loyalty ☁️

"Gorgeous, I have ta' go, 'ight? I'mma talk ta' you later," Michael told me over the phone as I was at work, and he was about clock in. I still had another hour or so until my break, and we weren't as busy today which I was beyond thankful for. I've been tryin' to work as much as I could so I'd be able to save up to finally get a damn car, so I wouldn't have to rely on Michael or Reese or my brother. Not that I didn't appreciate their willingness to help, but I just wanna be able to get to places on my own whenever I needed it and let them go on about their lives.

"Okay," I replied, "Tell Lilo I said hey!"

"Lilo's sassy ass can suck my dick," Michael smartly replied before I let out a light laugh, and we exchanged goodbyes for real this time. Once I hung up the phone, I placed it into my back pocket and pushed the line of carts from the corral and back inside. When I finished that, I approached one of the checkouts where one of my coworkers, Kassidy, looked like she was havin' trouble talkin' to one of the customers.

Amazin' way to start my morning.

"I already done tol' yo old ass that you can't return nothin' without a damn receipt. So yo ass betta' find somewhea' in yo house full'a cats to put it," Kassidy scolded an old white lady, who honestly didn't even look that old fa' real—the only thing that gave it away was her gray and white hair, and the wrinkles along the creases of her eyes.

"Um, is there an issue?" I inserted myself into the conversation, standin' behind the register beside Kassidy and the two along with a Hispanic couple waiting in line, who looked quite entertained by the situation.

"Yes," the white lady emphasized, "I've been tryin' to return this item, but your friend won't do her job and give me my money back!"

"I'm doin' my damn job by tellin' you, you need a receipt!" Kassidy exclaimed with gritted teeth, careful not to voice herself to loudly.

"I wanna speak to your manager," the lady demanded, a false smile painted my face as I let out a forced laugh. We got rude customers like her all the time, and Kassidy doesn't do too well with customers like that—obviously.

"I'm sorry ta' disappoint you, ma'am, but our manager is jus' gonna tell you the same thing that she's tellin' you—you can't return items without a receipt," I informed her in a more polite manner, and she just glared at me while crossing her arms. I knew this one was gonna be stubborn, so I tightly smiled and tried my absolute best to remain respectful.

"This is ludicrous!"

"So is keepin' these people held up, while they've been patiently waitin' to get their things ringed up," I smartly replied, my tone very passive aggressive while I gestured to the couple. They stayed quiet during this whole thing, just waiting for it to be over. Either they're really nosy, or they got a free day to themselves. "I suggest you leave before things get worse for you."

"I'm never coming back here," the lady emptily threatened, "This new generation has absolutely no manners whatsoever."

"Says the one who just tried ordering us around," Kassidy jerked her head back, "Iss' 'cuz we Black ain't it? You thought two Black women was s'posed to do watchu' say 'cuz you walk in hea' all White and demanding?"