Chapter 25

A silent whisper coaxes me awake.

As I come to, I realize that instead of the comfort of my bedroom, I am surrounded by the forest. The night was colder than usual, the flimsy camisole I had on did nothing to shield me from the bitter brisk air. In the distance I hear the hushed whispers calling out for me, sending a chill down my spine. I slowly come to my feet, dusting myself of the dirt that covers me.

"Aww." I exclaim looking down to my bare feet, impaled by the thorns sprawled across the ground.

Where am I? This isn't familiar territory. How did I even end up here? I wonder as I navigate through the forest, hugging myself to rid of the shivering. Panic begins to slowly set in, my eyes darting about, searching for the childlike voices calling out for me.

The promise of death hovers in the air corrupted by the smell of burning flesh. My heart begins to rampage through my chest at the increasing sound of hushed whispers swooshing and distant howls of creatures unknown. This isn't a place for a young lady to wander. There is no telling what lurks in the shadows and I had no desire to come to that knowledge.

Ahead, a faint light glimmers, lending fleeting hope. Trembling, I make my way through the dark path, withered leaves rustling beneath my bare bloodied feet, wondering where fate will lead. Soon enough, as I begin to draw closer, what lies ahead reveals itself the makings of the worst terrors imaginable. If not for the chilling sounds of wailing infants, the bloodied heads hanging on nooses and burning mutilated corpses would bring even the bravest of men to his knees.

I wanted to run, to turn back and cry out for help yet no sound came, my mouth sealed shut and feet planted firmly on the clawing ground beneath. I could taste the bitterness of my own paralyzing fear, the crashing thunder rumbling through my terror-stricken heart.

"Father." I wail tear-stained, albeit no sound is heard but the haunting howls of souls lost and engulfed by the maddening darkness.

I claw, hanging on for dear life as the darkness begins pulling me in from beneath my worm covered flesh, consuming me whole as it has countless souls before me.

I awaken in a cold sweat, my heart racing furiously. Franticly reaching for the light switch, my skin still crawling, I take gulps of air thankful it was but a dream, a terrible dream. I muffle the sounds of my laboured breath and silent cry, with a hand over my mouth, fearing someone might hear me. When I finally calm my raging heart, I turn to my side reaching for something...someone and nothing I find.

For what remains of the night, I lie awake starring at the ceiling, the damning vacancy beside me eating away that the little shred of sanity I cling to still. I had no one to blame but myself for his absence. It was I who'd pushed him away, driven him to his breaking point. And now, here I lay at my weakest, lonely and longing. In return I am welcomed by emptiness, a dark void nothing I do seems to fill.

***

The sound of birds chirping outside cuts through the darkness, willing me awake despite the ache in my body stubbornly anchoring me to the realm of temporary peace. At some point in the early hours of the morning, my mind tirelessly clinging to my desire to stay alert, fearing that danger lurked on the other side, it seems I gave in and allowed my heavy eyes a little rest.

Rubbing my knuckles against my aching chest, I exhale, glad that the light of day has come to free me from the darkness that taints the shadows of night. I reach towards the bedside table for my phone though none lays in wait, an instinctual habit I am yet to part with. Instead the curtains begin to peel open when my hand lands on a remote, ushering rays of light my eyes weren't prepared to welcome. I groan begrudgingly, pulling the blanket over my head and rolling towards the other side of the bed to escape the blinding light. Yet again the hope of his return comes crashing down, its weight heavy on my aching heart.

I haven't seen or heard from Greyson in over a week now. Each day it feels as though I grow further apart from him, despite us never having been close to begin with. This all, at my own doing. I worry, about him...about us and a plethora of other things I cannot begin to comprehend.

How much longer will I wallow in despair, my heart hallowed out from its depths?

One moment I am overcome by a whirlwind of emotions, and the next I feel something akin emptiness.

I cannot carry on like this. I need to eat...to shower. I need to do anything either than lay in bed all day. A day longer, spent in the darkness of our room engulfed by his scent and my haunting thoughts, would drive me up a wall. So, I will myself out of bed, determined that today would be the day I venture past the threshold of our bedroom, and explore a world beyond these four walls.

Padding towards the bathroom, I almost cringe at the sight of my reflection in the mirror. Staring back at me is someone I barely recognize, frail shoulders slouched under the weight of despondency and eyes heavy with fatigue. This isn't the girl that I remember, certainly not the one that stared back at me a few moons back.

A lot has changed since then and so have I. The only way to survive moving forth is to adapt. No more pity parties and certainly no more waiting for a saviour. I am on my own now, the sooner I wrap my head around that, the better.

The hot water cascades down my naked body, burning my flesh off memories of terrors I wish to forget. Their reminiscence lurk at the forefront of my mind, awaiting the moment I allow my mind to wander back to the darkness. It is haunting, exhausting. I have befriended paranoia, never fully trusting my senses or mind. At time I worry that I am beginning to lose touch of reality. I step out of the shower when my mind begins drift into the darkness.

Today would be different...I will be different.

***

AN: Joyful greetings everyone. I'd like to wish you all a happy festive season. I wrote 5 different versions of this chapter, each one felt like it was missing something...I hope this will suffice though it is a little short. . The next chapter will probably be a filler chapter. The progression of the story is a little slow...trying to cut back on the fillers. Ok. Done talking now. Bye.