𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈. HOPE AND REDEMPTION

hey guys! the wonderful @-lovesong made a trailer for this book! i linked it above and i would really appreciate it if you could check it out and go show their page some love :)

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
HOPE AND REDEMPTION

§ § §

The sand under me provided a great cushion to land on, especially when I had the goblin from Gringotts and Draco landing on top of me. I groaned and pushed myself up, wincing as sand found its way under my fingernails.

"You alright?" I asked, turning to Draco. His face was pale and his eyes were wide, but as I scanned his body, I didn't find any visible injuries. "Hey, Draco-"

He cut me off my raising a shaky hand, pointing at something. I turned to see a small body standing in the sand a few feet away.

Dobby.

I turned to look at Harry, who was huddled with Ron and Hermione. He heard Dobby mutter his name, then turned to see the elf.

"Dobby..." Harry stood and quickly walked over to him. I got to my feet and hurried over, too. Harry fell to his knees as Dobby collapsed in his arms, and I fell right next to them.

There was a bright red stain in Dobby's chest, and I saw Bellatrix's knife lying a few feet away.

"Hold on, Dobby," I whispered, grabbing one of his hands, tears stinging my vision. "Just hold on, we'll get you help."

Harry looked up to where Hermione was. "Hermione! You have something? In your bag? Hermione?" I looked up to see Hermione shaking her head helplessly.

"Come on!" I exclaimed, looking down to the elf, who's eyes were now closing. "Hermione, you've got to have something!"

Harry and I turned our attention back to the elf in his arms, who was slowly blinking up at us. "Such a beautiful place... to be with friends... Dobby is happy... to be with his friends..."

I bit my lip to stop myself from crying as I squeezed his tiny hand gently. The elf whispered Harry and I's name one last time before his chest stopped rising and falling.

Luna walked over and crouched down next to Harry. "We should close his eyes," she said quietly. "Don't you think?" Harry nodded a little, and Luna reached over and slid the elf's eyelids shut. "There. Now he could be sleeping."

There was silence for a few moments before Harry spoke. "I want to bury him. Properly. Without magic," he looked to me, and I smiled a little and nodded.

Harry picked the small hill out behind shell cottage, which happened to be Bill and Fleur's house, and began digging the hole. Ron, Hermione, and Luna helped him, while Ollivander and the goblin (Griphook, I learned) stayed inside to get their injuries fixed.

I stood off to the side with Draco, wanting to help but not wanting to disrupt Harry's moment with Draco, who he'd most certainly get mad at.

"Why did you bring me with you?" Draco whispered, staring out at the sea, the wind whipping his blonde hair.

I glanced up at him before looking back at Harry and the others. "Because I love you. And because I know you want to be better than you were there."

He was silent for a little before replying. "You and I have the Dark Mark. He could easily find us if he had to. Maybe we could leave. Run away and hide-"

"Hey," I cut him off sternly, stepping in front of him so he was forced to look at me. "No more of that. You've been hiding your whole life, Draco. Don't argue, you know it's true. This is our chance to redeem ourselves and prove that we aren't going anywhere. That we're fighting for what's right."

I waited for a reply, but he just looked down.

"Listen, I'm staying. You can either stay with me, or leave. Come and find me when the war's over so I can say a final goodbye before they lock you up in Azkaban because you haven't done anything to prove that you're actually a good person-"

"Okay, okay!" He exclaimed, cutting me off, a small smile dancing on his lips. "Yes. I'll stay. I'll fight for what's right."

I grinned and kissed his cheek. "Great. Now let's try to convince my brother not to murder you on sight."

Harry had stayed outside at Dobby's grave while Draco and I sat with Ron and Hermione at the kitchen table.

Ron was currently glaring daggers at Draco. "And how do we know he isn't still evil and is spying on us right now?"

I let out a deep breath and rubbed at my temples. I had been trying to convince him for ten minutes now about Draco's innocence.

"Because, Ronald, if Draco was still evil, I would be too. You can't just forget the fact that I was a Death Eater, too, just because you like me."

Hermione was looking back and forth between us with an amused glint in her eyes. "Ron, I believe her. It's Giovanna. And Malfoy has proven to be good before. Remember fifth year at the Ministry? I'm pretty sure it took a lot of courage to spit into his father's hand. Literally."

She smiled warmly at Draco, who blushed at the praise. I grinned, knowing that with time, Hermione and Draco could be great friends. They were the smartest of our year and probably had lots to talk about.

Ron let out a sigh and nodded. "Okay. Yeah. Fine. He can tag along."

"Thanks, Ronniekins," I winked, and Ron rolled his eyes.

Harry had come inside and walked over to Bill and Fleur, who were standing by the counter. "I need to talk to the goblin."

Bill nodded, and Ron, Hermione, and I stood to join Harry, but Harry shook his head at me.

"For all we know that goblin is still mad at you for what you did at the Manor. It's best if just Ron, Hermione, and I go in for now," Harry said awkwardly.

"Oh. Yeah, yeah, you're right. Just fill us in after, yeah?" I said, and Harry nodded.

I sighed and fell back into my chair, not liking how awkward things would be for a while. It was only right, though, seeing as my boyfriend and I were ex-Death Eaters.

Bill and Fleur walked over and joined Draco and I at the table. "How are you, Giovanna?" Bill asked in such a kind voice, I almost teared up.

I didn't deserve their kindness. I had turned on them. But here Bill was, acting like the big brother he'd been to me growing up.

"Holding in there," I whispered. 

Bill laughed through his nose and nodded. "Sounds about right. That's all any of us can do, right?" He looked to Draco with kind but calculating eyes.

Draco held his gaze and nodded. "Right."

After a moment's stare, Bill nodded once more and gave me a thumbs up.

I grinned, hoping that maybe, just maybe, things would be alright again.