Chapter 3.

"IT ISN'T THAT I don't want to," Azalea complained. "It's that... "

"You don't want to?" Iggy helped to finish Azalea's sentence.

"I can't believe Keefe joined the Neverseen!" Azalea yelled in frustration. "That was a dumb move, even for him."

"Mhmm," Iggy continued playing with the embroidery bracelet Azalea made for him. "But he's back, isn't he?"

"But- "

"And you promised to help the Black Swan after a few months, didn't you?"

"It's- "

"How many months has it been, my darling fetus?"

"Six." Azalea mumbled, like she was a child being chided by her mother.

"Do you see my point?" Iggy asked.

"I hate that you're always right!" Azalea threw a fish plush at Iggy.

Iggy caught it and set it down. He tapped the spot beside him and Azalea sat down, arms crossed and pouting. Iggy reached into his pocket and pulled out a fist-size black cube. "To join the Black Swan, you have to swear fealty. There's a sensor at the top that will only respond to your DNA. Only when you truly mean the oath, will the latch open."

Azalea took the black cube and licked it. The cube flashed white and words appeared. 'I will do everything in my power to help the world.'

"What happens if the latch never opens?" Azalea whispered.

She didn't voice it, but she doubt that the box would accept her. Her mother was the leader of the Neverseen. By blood, she was the enemy.

"I believe it will. I know you never say things without meaning it." Was Iggy's reply.

'I will do everything in my power to help the world.' That could mean a lot of things. Some people think a monarchy would help the world. Some humans are prejudiced against "people of color" because they want to help the world. And it seems that the Black Swan and the Neverseen have similar beliefs, but different execution. But they both think they're helping the world.

Yet, Azalea was only willing to aid the Black Swan in their quest to improve this flawed world.

"I will do everything in my power to help the world." Azalea whispered.

A latch on the box snapped open. Inside, Azalea found leaping crystal.

"Oh, hell no." Azalea dropped the box. "I can't go back. I still have... stuff to do here."

"Like watch shows everyday and ignore the problems going on in the Lost Cities?" Iggy replied. "Don't you think you're being selfish? You're friends are out there, fighting the Neverseen, risking their lives, and here you are."

"You think I don't feel guilty?" Azalea said. "There's this stupid nagging voice in the back of my mind scolding me everyday. I can't sleep, I can't breathe without thinking about what I've done."

"Then why did you do it?" Iggy asked. "You had a choice, why did you choose this?"

"Because I'm a coward and I run away from my problems!" Azalea yelled.

"Then make it right. Go help your friends." Iggy said, picking up the crystal and handing it to Azalea.

"How come you're always right?" Azalea asked.

"Because I have more years of experience?"

"'Cause you're a grandpa."

AZALEA MANAGED TO pack within an hour. She grabbed some of her favorite books, her embroidery materials, Carlisle Lysander's journal, and a bottle of pills. Iggy handed her a blue tunic and a cape that already had a clasp. Azalea was thankful for that, she didn't want to wear a Sencen crest.

   Like the gentleman he was, Iggy helped to take Azalea's bag.

   And like the lady she was, Azalea snatched it back and claimed she was strong enough to carry it. But she'd never admit that her shoulders were hurting from carrying the burden of eight books.

"Where does this lead?" Azalea said, fidgeting with the crystal.

"Rimeshire, Juline's home," Iggy replied, offering his hand to Azalea.

As Azalea walked out of her home, the crystal in her hand felt heavier and heavier. Azalea didn't know whether she did it intentionally, but the crystal slipped from her grasp, fell to the ground and shattered.

"Are you serious, Azalea?" Iggy asked, exasperated. "After six months you still can't go back. You made a mistake, Azalea, you should be willing to fix it!"

Azalea gaped at Iggy. She didn't plan on breaking the crystal, it was an accident. How dare he yell at her?

"I didn't do it on purpose, it was an accident!"

"A likely story."

"I'm serious! You think I wouldn't want to go back and see my friends, Elvy? I want to! I just didn't expect it to happen so soon."

"Well it's happening." Iggy reached out to take Azalea's hand. But Azalea forced her hand away from his. "We need to go."

"What's wrong with you?" Azalea asked.

"What's wrong with me?" Iggy replied. "What's wrong with you? I spent the last six months here, entertaining you, and now I ask you for one little favor and you can't do it?"

"Little?" Azalea asked. "How is this little?"

"We are leaving." Iggy tried to take Azalea's hand again.

Azalea moved her hand away. "Is this what you've been feeling this whole time? Was hanging out with me a favor to you? A burden?"

"We don't have time for this."

"Yes, we do!"

"Fine!" Iggy turned to face Azalea, the tips of his ears were red and his nostrils flared. He breathed deeply, as if each breath took up all his energy. "You want to know? I'll tell you. I visit you almost everyday, I make sure you aren't lonely. I spend time with you, but that takes away the time I could have spent on Will, or work! I sacrifice time and energy, and my own life for you! Yes, I think of you as my sister, but what about Will? He's my brother too."

"Iggy, I-"

"Forget it." Iggy snapped. "Let's just go."

This time, when Iggy reached for Azalea hand, she didn't refuse. She couldn't believe how bitchy she was. Iggy was kind, and sweet, and she'd taken him for granted. Come to think of it, she had never imagined what Iggy's life was like outside her's. She wanted to wrap Iggy in a hug and tell him how much she loved and appreciated him.

Iggy help up his pathfinder to the light. With an air of solemness around them, the light whisked them away.