Chapter 8 - I'd give him his last chance another time

Remember what you must do when they undervalue you,
when they think your softness is your weakness,
when they treat your kindness like it is their advantage.

You awaken every dragon, every wolf, every monster that sleeps inside of you and you remind them what hell looks like when it wears the skin of a gentle human.

- Unknown

"So, M'lady, are you ready to leave your tower?" Adrian smirked as I was putting on my shoes. I could finally leave the Hospital Wing. My arm was still wrapped in bandages and I could barely use it, but at least I could go out and attend classes again. Adrian put all my get well cards in a bag and helped me off the bed.

"Thank you, kind sir", I smirked and took my bag.

"What classes have you got?" he asked.

"Double transfiguration", I sighed. I didn't mind transfiguration, but was it necessary to double the period?

"Oh, good luck with that", he grinned. I got some strange looks when we walked through the hallway and I hated it. Most of them were looks of pity and there wasn't anything in the world I hated more than pity. I didn't want to be seen as weak. I was strong, I was a Selwyn.

"Hey, chin up", Adrian said, nudging my shoulder. I forced a smile, but I couldn't shake off the anxious feeling. I never used to struggle with anxiety, but it was a feeling that was becoming more and more familiar lately. I couldn't let it show, though.

"What about you?" I asked to change the subject and took a deep breath. He didn't get to answer as Snape interrupted him.

"Miss Selwyn, my office please", he said and motioned me to follow him. I glanced down at my watch, but it obviously wasn't there. It had to be almost time for class, but it wasn't like I really had a choice, so I followed Snape to his office.

"I see that you are well again. However, I think it's best if I give you and mister Malfoy a new partner", he said eventually as he sat down at his desk. "Or not?"

Was Snape asking my opinion? What did I want? Malfoy had been somewhat nice last night, but it was just a matter of time before we'd clash again and I'd rather not have a repetition of Monday's events. I still disliked him. He was the reason I could barely feel my arm, just because he was a petty little child. Besides, Potions with Malfoy was no fun. There was no cooperation and it was just all around stressful.

"I do not know why you two don't get along and I do not want to know under any circumstance, but I cannot have that tension disrupting my class again. So if you think it will, I suggest we change the seating arrangement."

But what if I got a terrible partner instead? At least Malfoy was good at Potions. This really was not my day.

"Yes, I think that's for the best", I said. He nodded and then sent me out. I grabbed my bag and quickly left the office. I really had to calm down. I rubbed my face and put on the signature stern look before entering the Transfiguration classroom.

"Sorry professor McGonagall, professor Snape had requested to speak with me", I apologised as I entered the classroom. She simply nodded, so I took a seat besides Tracey. Daphne was seated next to Malfoy, blushing slightly as she observed him secretly.

I caught Malfoy's gaze and he forced out a half-smile. Was he going to be nice to me from now on? It was difficult to imagine, but then at least the injured arm would be somewhat worth it. I smiled back to show goodwill. I didn't like him and I probably never would, but if he was finally being sufferable after 15 years of the opposite, I had to embrace it.