Chapter 26

Why am I so nervous?

This is going to be my new pack...these people my new family, the least I can do is get comfortable around them.

Freshly showered, I head to the closet in search for something either than sweats. How can I possibly be expected to rule over such a large pack when I can barely even decide what to wear? I sigh, settling for a knee-length floral summer dress, simple and appropriate. Having concealed the horrid bags under my eyes with a little a makeup, I begin to tame my curly hair. 

 Up or down? I think down will do.

When I am finally satisfied with my appearance, I strap on my sandals and make my way towards the exit, holding my breath in nervous anticipation. Slowly, I peel the door open expecting to find Hulk's stoic face that had come to grow fond of awaiting my presence on the other end but instead there's a new face stationed outside my door.

"Uhm Hi," I hesitate, admittedly considering backing out.

"Luna." The man stands abruptly, bowing his head in a show of respect.

"Who are you? Where is Hulk?" The words fly out of my mouth before I can filter them.

"Who?" The stranger raises his brow at me, no doubt wondering who I was referring to.

"Max." I correct myself, using his actual name instead of the nickname I had fondly given him at the sight of his hulking posture.

"Maximus has been relieved off his duties. I am Eliot. I will serve as your new security detail."

I cannot help but wonder if I am the reason behind hulk no longer being my sitter.

He looks at me expectedly, as though awaiting command. I realize then that I am awkwardly standing in the doorway, my body halfway through the door.

I inform him of my intention to join the other pack members for breakfast, in hope that he may lead me towards the dining area for I am yet to know my way around the property. I was glad that Greyson took refuge outside the pack house, though this place is also huge, it pales in comparison to their pack house. No way would I have been brave enough to do this had it been at the pack house.

I follow closely behind Eliot, his rigid posture laden with intention. My heart thumping in nervous tremor, I wonder if I would come to regret my decision. Despite the strong urge to retreat back to my den, I push forward silently, my feet glad to have finally been given function.

Joyful laughter and chatter can be heard as we draw near.

"Fudge." I mutter under my breath as my face rams into something solid.

Maybe watch where you are going next time. I internally scold myself for not looking where I was going.

I realize as I peel my eyes open, groaning slightly from the discomfort against my forehead, that I had just face palmed Eliot's back when he decided to abruptly stop in front of me without warning.

"My apologies Luna." He quickly turns to face me, his eyes searching, as if inspecting a fallen glass for cracks.

I offer a small smile to assure him that I am fine. Only then do I note that the chatter has faded and its place, a commanding silence remains. Though with eyes averted to the floor beneath me, I could still feel everyone's eyes turned to us, their curious stares poking at my confidence. Oh, how I wish I could disappear or better yet cower back to solitude, but alas my traitorous feet stubbornly remain glued to the floor despite my wish to run away.

"Bly?" A familiar voice calls out, and instinctually I lift my eyes towards the origin of the sound wave.

My anxiety begins to subside as I spot Jason walking towards me, his signature smile lighting up his face.

"Hey Jace." I mutter into his broad shoulder as he engulfs me in a bear hug.

"I glad to see you've finally decided to come out of hiding."

He beams as he leads me towards his table, his hand in mine. Though I can still feel the stares following my every motion, I found comfort in his presence. He pulls out a chair for me, playfully curtsying as he waits for me to take a sit.

"Stop." I whisper quietly, my cheeks burning with embarrassment.

Uncertain whether I should introduce myself, I fidget, playing with my finger nails.

"Not used to the attention huh?" The person to my right speaks, drawing my attention to his hypnotic silver eyes, his facial features, sculpted and perfect.

I nod my head in response, words at a loss.

"I am Liam by the way." He extends his hands towards me, his eyes warm and welcoming.

"Uhm, I...I'm Blythe." I stutter my shaky hand taking meeting his, once again making a fool of myself.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you, I was begging to think you were a fragment of Jason's imagination."

"Now you believe me." Jace shakes his head in mock disappointment, his attention turning towards Liam and I. Liam and Jace continue their playful banter, my attention drifting towards my surroundings.

On the table across from me, sat a few familiar faces, among them, a face I had hoped to never set eyes on. His cold eyes radiate with distaste as they lock with mine. My face drops, the memories rushing back in an instant. My palms begin to clamp in nervous perspiration, my heart pounding violently.

This was a mistake.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Jason looks at me, his worry filled eyes searching my own.

"Nothing." I whisper softly, taking a deep breath to calm my erratic heart, willing away the memories with a dismissive shake of the head.

Unsatisfied with my answers, he opens his mouth to speak further but thankfully he is interrupted. Alissa, the girl I recognize as my assigned 'assistant' places a plate of pancakes and a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice before me.

"Uhm...Thanks but you really didn't have to. I could have gotten that myself." I offer a small fleeting smile, conveying my appreciation for her act of kindness. She silently smiles back before promptly retreating to her table. To distract myself from my current situation, I begin to dig into my food, my mouth watering at the sight before me.

"Any word from Greyson?" I ask Jason as he leads me towards the gardens for a stroll after breakfast.

I don't doubt for a second that he is capable of taking care of himself, he is after all notorious for his ferocity. Even so, I cannot help the worry I feel creep in each time I think of him. He certainly must have a fair share of enemies. Could it be that something bad had happened to him?

Jason shakes his head apologetically, the light in his eyes fluttering. He too seemed worried about his brother. Though I can tell there is something he isn't telling me, I supress my desire to press further.

"How are you holding up. Still having nightmares?" His voice snaps me out of my reverie.

I desperately want to be honest about how I truly feel, to let him know of everything that had happened since the last time we saw each other yet I cannot find the strength, Jasper's words ringing at the back of my mind. He couldn't find out what happened, no one could.

"They've gotten better." I lie.

If anything, the nightmares have gotten progressively worse since the last time we'd spoken. Telling him that would only open Pandora's box of destruction. It's evident that he doesn't buy into the lie, yet he doesn't press and I was all the more thankful for him. We walk in comfortable silence before he is called in for work, leaving me to my thoughts. After a few minutes longer in the garden, Eliot escorts me back to my cell.