Chapter 32: The Layover

chapter 32: the layover •••

The Razor Crest is in the worst shape you've ever seen it when you get back to port, even with everything the Mon Calamari tried to do for it. You spend your time attempting to clean up the inside of the hull as Din manages to get your poor home out of the atmosphere, somehow even launching into hyperspace along the way. You're surprised Din and the baby still haven't returned after many minutes with the familiar hum of hyperspace filling the space, so when you finish your current task of reorganizing the boxes that have been strewn around the area, you ascend your way to the cockpit.

As soon as you enter, you see a whimpering baby in the arms of Din, who's still fully suited as he rocks him in vain. You furrow your brow in concern, approaching the two of them with a tightened chest. "What's wrong?" you question, your maternal instincts at an all-time high as the baby's eyes glitter with tears he refuses to shed.

"Someone had an accident," Din informs you, his modulated voice almost guilty as his visor remains fixed on the baby. He offers a gloved finger that the little one immediately takes between his hands, his tiny fingers gripping onto it for dear life as he releases a sad coo.

"What do you mean?" You don't hide the concern from your tone.

Din takes a breath, as if he's hesitant to disclose the information to you. You cross your arms, staring at him with expectation until he sighs and looks up at you. "He, uh... he was helping me with some wiring, when he—."

"Din Djarin, I know you weren't making our child play with wires that could easily electrocute him." You cut him off with disbelief, raising your brow as Din's helmet tilts at you in a guilty manner.

"Rid'ika, I swear, he wanted to—."

"Din!" Your exclamation is just as much full of slight amusement as it is chastisement. You gently take the baby from his arms, letting his little fingers close around the fabric of your shirt as you shake your head at your riduur. "He might be powerful, but he's just a baby."

"I know, I just..." Din trails off, and you watch as his armored shoulders start to fall forward just a bit, "he really wanted to help, and I... really wanted to make him happy." His voice breaks on the last phrase, making your heart sink into your stomach as your gaze quickly shifts back to the baby. He's already fast asleep in your arms, healed from whatever the wires had done. Now, the other member of your clan needs healing, so you look up at him with a sympathetic gaze.

"I'm gonna put the little one to bed," you begin, your voice soft as you take a step closer to Din. "I want you to take off your armor so I can clean it for you and meet me down in the hull so I can make us some soup. Okay?"

Din nods, but before you have a chance to leave, one of his gloved hands takes a hold of your arm. You face him with a raised brow, his helmet soon meeting your forehead. Din's silent for a moment, his free hand rising to your cheek as he brushes his thumb over the skin there. "Thank you." The words are uttered so softly that they barely pass through his modulator, making you smile as you turn your face to kiss the palm of his gloved hand. You then step away, heading towards the ladder as you make your way down to the hull.

Once you've set the baby in his hammock within his own compartment, you set to work, digging through your supply of food as you get everything you need to heat up your soup. Though it's not as hearty as you'd like it to be, at least you know it's warm and substantial, enough to help Din make up for all the food he's been missing out on lately thanks to his inability to remove his helmet. You've gotten two bowls poured by the time Din joins you in the hull, and thankfully, your stomach doesn't seem to protest the smell of what you've placed in front of you.