Old Times

"En Garde."

"Todays the day," Minho said beside me. "Ready to not be called greenie anymore?" 

"You have no idea." I laughed along with Newt as the three of us sat and ate our breakfast. It was pancakes and bacon. It smelled so good.

Minho seemed to calm down about the idea of not having his best friend with him all the time and Newt got used to working in the gardens instead. He complained about the smell of the 'bloody cow Klunk' they used as fertilizer. Anytime he brought it up I couldn't take him seriously. 

"I love these days," Newt said through bites of food. "We don't have work." I nodded my head in agreement.

Minho scoffed. "Think for yourselves," Newt said he always got grumpy on greenie days because he still had to run. 

After the three of us finished we walked Minho over to the giant walls I still hadn't gotten used to even though it's been a month. I've gotten used to everything else. The people, the job, the glader terms, and rules. But these walls never sat right with me and I doubt they ever will. 

Minho pulled his leg up behind him stretching his thighs as he did every time before he walked out. "Have fun you shank," Newt said pulling Minho into a hug. It used to be just me who walked Minho to the walls but since Newt can't run anymore, he came with us. I didn't mind at all. 

"You too slint-head," Minho said into the hug. "I expect all the details of the new greenie when I return, yeah?" We nodded with a laugh before he said good and ran into the maze. Newt and I stood watching him run seamlessly into the maze before he turned and was out of sight. 

We stood silently for a moment before I turned on my heels in the other direction. "So what are we going to do?" It was my first day not having anything to do. Newt turned as well. 

"I have no bloody clue." He responded. Our steps fell in time with each other as we walked back into the busy part of the glade. 

My eyes trailed around the glade trying to find something to do. Then I saw Gally in a fighting ring with someone and it gave me an idea. I grabbed Newts wrist and dragged him with me. I turned right and to the border where the glade met the forest. 

"What are you doing?" He said as I let go of his wrist and walked a little into the woods. My eyes searched the ground full of leaves and twigs. I was looking for sticks.

I finally found one and grabbed it. I kept looking for another one though. "Seriously, Y/N, what are you doing?" 

"Shhh," I responded just as I found a second one. I walked back out to where Newt was standing. I tossed him one of the sticks. "En Garde," I said as I pointed it at him like a sword. He looked at the stick in his hand and the stick I was holding.  

"Touche." He responded and he knocked his fake sword against mine. I laughed as we went back and forth fighting like people from older times. Neither of us knew what we were doing, at all, but somehow it was great. 

Our sticks collided chipping off little pieces of the bark that were on it leaving some spots bare. I twisted around to avoid him hitting me as I whacked him in the side. He pretended to be stabbed as I doubled over in laughter. He wobbled around before placing the back of his hand to his forehead and collapsing to the ground. As he fell his foot got tangled in mine making my feet sweep out from under me. We both laid on the grass in fits of laughter. 

"En grade," He repeated sitting up. I sat up as well hugging my knees to my chest. 

"Touche."

Almost as if that was a trigger, a loud siren swept through the glade and I knew what it was by Minho's description. The greenie alarm. Newt and I eyed each other as we scrambled to get up. 

We jogged, careful of Newts hurt foot, to the box. We pushed past the crowd to let the second in command and only girl through. We watched as Gally and his friends opened the door to it. Memories of just arriving there flashed through my head. The fear, the pain, the anxiety. I knew what this kid was feeling and I felt bad. 

Inside was a thin copper-skinned boy with black hair. He wore a brown shirt and dark green pants that looks frayed at the ends. 

I stepped inside of the metal container to see the boy. I reached out to take his hand, a soft smile on my face. 

"I'm Y/N. Welcome to the glade. I know it's scary but you're safe, I promise." I said as kindly as I could muster. "Do you remember anything?" He shook his head quickly fear evident in his eyes. "Hey, hey. That's normal. We all went through that." I pulled him up and gestured for Gally and Alby to help pull him up. They took him from me and I continued to look through the boxes. 

A crate with a pig and crates with the labeling WCKD. I didn't know what those letters meant but I didn't care much. I looked in the corner the boy was at and saw something in the corner. 

I bent down and took the sheet of paper that laid there. 

The music was all Y/N's idea.

I looked at it like it had just told me I was about to die. What the hell did that mean? What music?