chapter fifty-six

panic was the only emotion jiyoung could feel

a gasp of air.

but not like her usual one, one full of panic and stress-induced with desperation to know what was going on and why she was not where she fell asleep at.

her skin shimmered under the natural light emitting from the sun that shined through the high glass windows- sweat covering every inch of her body.

another nightmare.

except when she finally woke up, her nightmare didn't end, only getting worse than what it was before.

looking around, she didn't recognize the room she was laying in.

it was an ugly beige color that looked like the walls were once white but now sat covered in filth and lint. no decorations of any sort hung up. the door sat closed, locked from outside of the bedroom.

there was a closet in the room right next to the door to the bathroom but that was it. no dresser, no desk, no anything.

it was eerily quiet as if the birds outside even knew it was strange that she was in this new environment. pain erupted in her head again, stronger than ever before.

she pushed against the bed in an attempt to stand up but instead, her vision went dark for a moment. her hands whipped forward in an attempt to catch herself if she fell forward but a burst of wind came from her palms.

the air burst in colors of red, orange, green, blue, gray, black, and white. like a messed-up rainbow.

she had to think back to what jinae taught her about the colors and how she needed to control her air bending. it was extremely important right now to keep her air bending from the man that brought her here.

"your emotions are controllable to an extent. but that doesn't mean the color in your bending will be. when you are feeling extreme emotions they will shine through no matter what you do."

"how do i know what colors mean what?"

"each color represents different emotions. red can represent anger, embarrassment, passion, or lust. orange can represent confusion or cowardliness. yellow can represent happiness or extreme caution. like you're scared but your first priority is staying safe, basically, worry. green will represent disgust, envy, friendliness, or even greed. blue will mean shyness, sadness, or calmness. purple means pride, fear, or courageousness. pink represents embarrassment or love. gray shows depression, other types of sadness, tiredness, pain, and stoicism. black means coldness or mournful emotions. and lastly, white means fear, shock, or peacefulness. there are some special colors, though. an example being gold, which can only be seen when one is in love."

jiyoung just needed to be calm.

maybe if she was calm her eyes and bending would return to normal.