Chapter 11:: Pass me that bottle

Chapter 11// Pass me that bottle

I watch apprehensively as my driving examiner approaches my car. He looks nice enough, balding and wearing a shirt that looks like it’s about to pop all ten buttons off any moment, but this does nothing to affect the shaking and sweating of my hands. I wipe my palms off my leggings smoothly and grip them readily onto the steering wheel. Frankly, I think even a tiny bunny would intimidate me now. This is it- my driving test, and I need to pass. I haven’t got the time, nor patience to do this whole endeavor again. My hair is unnaturally tied away from my face, and I glance up at myself in the side mirror, wincing. Remember everything I’ve practiced. Remember the Highway Code.

The man opens the car door and slides in not-so elegantly beside me. “Nice to meet you Miss Reynolds,” He greets gruffly, offering me a chubby hand to shake. “I’m Jonathon and I’ll be your driving examiner today. How are you feeling about the test?” He slides his seatbelt on and sets his clipboard onto his lap, readily. My heart accelerates nervously, and I gulp back the lump in my throat. Come on girl.

“I’m feeling pretty good thank you,” I reply politely. Complete and total lie.

“Good, good,” He nods assuredly. His face is large and flabby and his eyes are a dull brown colour. “Right, so we’ll kick-start by asking you a couple of questions. First, I’d like you to show me how you’d turn the fog lights on, and explain to me when and why you’d use them.” Thank God. I sink back into my seat with relief: this is one of the questions I practiced with Everett, and it’s pretty easy too. Without hesitation, I turn on the ignition and flick the switch for the dipped headlights. Ahead of the car, in the bright day, I can just about see the rings of light projecting.

“Vehicles are typically equipped with both front and rear fog lights,” I recite calmly, although I’m still a nervous wreck on the inside. “Those in the front extend the driver's visibility range as far as possible directly ahead of the car. The fog lights at the back serve to warn other drivers that the car is there.” I glance over expectantly at Jonathon, with the irritating feeling of forgetting something I could have said. Something about the fog light wiring system? Anyway, it couldn’t have been important because he seems to be noting everything down approvingly. We’re good so far.

“Good, that’s good. Now, Miss Reynolds, tell me where you would find the information for the recommended tire pressures for this car and how tire pressures should be checked.”

My heart thuds and a sick feeling twists in my stomach. I haven’t prepared for this question as much. “The recommended tire pressure is written in the Manufacturers guide. To check the tire pressure, you should use a pressure gauge,” I swallow, returning the moisture to my drying mouth. “You should check and adjust tire pressures regularly, especially when it’s cold.”

“Also, there’s the spare tire,” He glances up at me expectantly, and I nod. “Right,” He leans back, “We’re all good so far. Now, could you please tell me what the number plate of that van is, ahead of us, and what type of number plate it is?” I read out the number plate. “And for that vehicle?” He points out a car sat at least twenty metres away. I strain to read the numbers, almost confusing a seven for a one, but he seems to be impressed nevertheless. “Good work,” He notes something down onto his notepad and looks up at me with a restrained smile. “Now we’re onto the practical part of the test: this is about forty minutes long. We’ll start off and you’ll follow a series of directions from me, so I can test various skills. Then, at the end you’ll get a chance to freelance. Are you ready to begin?”

I nod firmly, releasing a small shaky breath and tightening my hands around the steering wheel. I can do this: if I’ve made it past the logical part, then I can sure as hell do the actual driving part.