Chapter Two

In short, they didn't find you. Not until you appeared on the news at least. They were always late, too late. You had escaped with a few thousand dollars, nothing too much. You've pulled off twelve robberies since you were caught. And recently, you've decided to leave little notes for your trackers. Always encouraging, like 'you'll see me next time', or 'catch me later'. Playful, inspiring. A team of slowpokes needed that sometimes. You even risked writing it in pen! As if practically shoving it in their faces.

One day, after your thirteenth successful robbery in a row, and dropping off anonymous donations to charities, there was an incident. You were heading home, tired from the long night. You were apparently too tired to think, and headed to your apartment on auto-pilot, taking all the familiar streets. But you didn't see the arrows pointing the other way.

Not two seconds after turning a corner, you ram into a wall. A very metallic, very blond wall.

"Sorry." You mumble, about to walk around him.

"My humblest apologies, Lady. It was my fault for not seeing you." You look up, to see Thor. The Thor. That would've been great, besides the fact you're wanted by his team. He was probably looking for you now.

"Don't- Don't mention it. I'm going to go..." You quickly walk around him, mumbling the chances of him following you. He went with the odds. You smartly decided to change directions after that, and followed the arrows.

You make your way inside your apartment, and close the door behind you, sighing. Leo runs and jumps on top of you in no time.

"Hi Leo! Glad I'm back?" You lift your cat, setting him on the couch with you. Leo is your adorable calico cat, who is very possessive of you. He hates it when you leave him. "Miss me much?"

He meowed in response.

"Good. I missed you too."

*

The next morning, you're up at an unnatural hour. Eight AM. Too early. Much too early. But, you need to take Leo to the vet, and this was literally the only time available. So, you get up, and sleep-walk through your morning routine. 

Unluckily, Leo tried multiple times to trip you, as if he knew what was going on. It took forever to get ready, and an eternity to get him into the cat carrier. You finally managed to get out of the apartment, and towards the Vet's office.

*

After a few miles walk, you finally round the corner across from the vet's office. You can see quite a lot of owners being practically dragged by their dogs, and are quite glad you simply need to carry the cat-carrier. Leo is peacefully asleep, not knowing where he's going.

You head to cross the street, with no cars in sight, only to be met by a swerving, speeding car. You're too far to turn back too. Just your luck. You quickly clutch Leo's carrier, and mutter the chances of getting hit.

The car passes by, and you escape unscathed. After a sigh of relief, you head into the office, hoping that no one saw. Or at least weren't suspicious enough to say anything.

"Good morning!" the secretary greets you. "You here for a check-up?"

"Yeah. My cat's name is Leo. I'm here for his appointment." You approach the desk, setting the crate on top of it. Leo started purring.

"Aw, such a sweetie. Well, Mr. Brash is almost done with his patient now, he'll call you when he's ready. Y/N, I assume."

"Yep. Thanks." You reply, sitting in the waiting room with Leo. He hasn't stopped purring since he reached your lap.

*

The vet visit went well, and nothing extreme happened. Leo was perfectly healthy. His blood tests were in the lab, just to double check. You had made it back to your apartment as well, without a hitch. Nothing even suspicious.

Something was wrong. Dreadfully wrong if nothing had even happened yet. You scan yourself, as well as Leo, and still read nothing wrong.

Then, as if on cue, a loud car horn blares across the city. Leo, who has been terrified of loud noises for years, jumps from your arms, sprinting around the room, looking for somewhere to hide.

"One hundred percent chance Leo will be fine." You say, sitting back down. It was better to ignore a speeding cat than to chase it.

Then an idea hits you. You carefully walk over to the freezer, and grab some vanilla ice cream. Leo's favorite. As you pop open the lid, he instantly stops and comes to you.

"You're such a sucker for sweets." You say, walking back to the couch. After sweet ice cream and playing with Leo, both of you are tuckered out. You fall asleep listening to the purrs of your adorable lovebug.

*

When you awake from your short nap, it's midnight on a Tuesday. The perfect night for a heist. You were starting to run a bit low on cash. You could use a few extra hundred.

Getting up, you quickly find and throw on your burglar suit, making sure to hide it under a jacket. It's too familiar otherwise. You were on literally every news station a while ago. You'd assume you would love to be famous, but you're not.

You pull up a map of the city on google. You need somewhere small, off most radars, that could still survive without a few hundred dollars. The doughnut shop seemed perfect. Small, mostly unknown, but they have great business. After grabbing a duffel, and saying goodbye to Leo, you head out, towards your new target.