13

"You know, you were right about a few things, too."

Ama's voice is relaxed, but I can still read the traces of hurt underneath it. I lift my face to the sunlight, feeling warm in the Californian heat for the first time in days. The world around us is rain-wet, the concrete divider in the street the two of us lean on damp against my back.

I tap my boots against each other, legs stretched out against the pavement where I sit. Then I glance at Ama, smiling faintly.

"Like what?"

"Like taking back what's ours. I've been talking to Winona and Colton and... you've made us realize something. we deserve a better world, even if that means we have to fight for it. There's gonna be a risk to rebuilding, but if we want the next generation to have a world to live in, we'll have to be okay with that."

A slow, genuine smile spreads across my face. "You serious?"

"Totally. It's... important. Thanks for helping us see that."

"Hey, at least I know I actually get through to you guys sometimes."

"Of course, it'll have to wait until we're done here."

"Right." I fold my arms over my chest, tilting my head back to bask in the sunlight. Around us, people stride around, all in a hurry, all preparing. Preparing guns, knives, and makeshift clubs. Some of them people I recognize, some of them not. A few hundred yards down the bridge, the barricade that blocks off the rest of the city sits, waiting. Beyond it, I can hear the screams of the mutated. Several vehicles lie smashed and overturned on the pavement where the sheer weight of the piling mutated have toppled them over, leaving gaps along the top of the barricade.

Lucy was right. They are close to breaking through. And when they do, this base will be overwhelmed.

So that's why we're here. Ama, Winona, and every other member of my group that's able and willing to fight.

"How'd you convince that asshole leader of theirs, anyways?" I ask.

"Logan? He's really not that bad. He's scared. And angry. Mostly at you." She manages a smile, passing me a bottle of water. Lora's orders. Apparently staying hydrated is important. "But when I brought Lucy back to them, just wanting to talk, well, he had to listen. So I told him the truth—that I want to help him. And that he should consider taking back what's his, as well."

"So now we're fighting. With them. Against that horde out there."

"We are."

"Oh, come on, Ama."

"You're hurt, Teddy."

"I'm feeling better!"

"We'll see how you're doing by tomorrow afternoon." Her soft smile is enough to make the lingering ache in my skull fade.

I lean back against the divider and let my eyes flutter shut, content to soak in the sun for the time being. "So we're helping the enemy," I mutter at last.

"Not the enemy," she reminds me. "Not anymore. We're helping each other now."

"We're sure as hell not friends. I know this is better, Ama, but really... I'm not gonna be friends with them because of this."

"I don't expect you too. I'm not sure any of us can forgive each other—on either side." She bites her lower lip. "Although I did tell them we have lots of room in the garage if they ever end up needing to move again. And Winona and Colton want to establish trade between the two of us if we can clear enough of the city to have a safe road."