(16)

Sophie and Keefe burst through the Everglen doors. It's a pleasantly sunny day outside, but even that can't quell the panic in Sophie's chest. If anything had happened to Biana under her watch....

They find the siblings standing by the edge of the forest, Fitz holding Biana by her shoulders as if to calm her. A couple of the goblin guards stand nearby. They glance up as Sophie and Keefe approach.

"Is everything okay?" Sophie exclaims.

"We heard Biana scream," Keefe adds.

Biana turns to them, her eyes welling with tears. "I saw someone," she says in a shaky voice. "In the trees. Standing right here." She gestures to the ground.

"It must've been one of the goblin guards," Fitz assures. "They're all dressed kind of similar—"

"No," Biana insists with a shake of her head. "You don't understand—it was an elf—they were wearing a dark cloak, and—"

Sophie feels her stomach sink in dread. She risks a quick glance at the Black Swan's goblins, but they each give her a subtle shrug. No one had seen anything.

Beside her, Keefe looks just as grim. "Did you see his face, Biana?" he asks.

Biana shakes her head again, sniffling. "No. But I'm positive it was an elf."

Sophie locks eyes with Fitz, ignoring the fluttery feeling as she does so. Did you see what happened? she transmits to him.

No, he replies with a frown. I was on the other side setting up the fire pit for later.

Sophie scans their surroundings. From where they're standing, the tall gates surrounding Everglen are a glimmer in the distance. How had someone managed to sneak so far into the property without alerting any of the goblins?

She probably saw one of the guards, Fitz continues. Biana's just not used to seeing them around.

I don't know, Fitz. She looks pretty shaken.

"Fitz! Biana!" Alden yells. He and Della come running over, trailed by two more goblins. Their faces are lined with worry and fear. "What's going on?"

"Biana thinks she saw another elf on the property," Keefe tells them as Della fusses over her daughter.

"I did see someone!" Biana declares.

"We should go and find whoever this is," Fitz announces.

Alden's face hardens. "No. Absolutely no one is to chase after this person."

"Dad, if there really is an elf snooping around Everglen, shouldn't we try to go after them? What if they're from the Neverseen?"

"Dude, I don't know," Keefe says uncertainly.

"What if it was Alvar?" Biana asks in a small voice, and everyone goes silent.

"I'll ask the guards to keep an eye out." Alden says. He looks to Fitz. "But none of you are allowed to go into the forest. Is that understood?"

Alden watches as they nod one by one. When his gaze lands on Sophie, she opens her mind to him.

I can go into the forest and check it out, she transmits. This is what I'm here for.

Alden's expression wavers. I know—but we'll be fine, Sophie. The goblins are here for this purpose.

I know what I'm capable of. Let me help, she pleads. If Biana saw one of the Neverseen, I could track them down.

Something in their mental connection falters at the mention of the Neverseen. Sophie's heart sinks when Alden shakes his head again.

I'm not taking that risk. Just promise me this time.

With some reluctance, Sophie nods. Alden's composure relaxes. "Thank you." His gaze softens when he turns to Sophie and Keefe. "I'm sorry this had to happen while you two were here. Perhaps it's best you head home for now."

Alden disperses the goblins back to their posts. Fitz and Biana walk Sophie and Keefe out to the Everglen gates.

"What did my dad say to you?" Fitz asks her. "I noticed you were transmitting."

"I just... offered my help in tracking," Sophie says. She's painfully aware of Keefe's gaze on her. "In Exillium I got pretty good at tracking people. But he told me not to."

"That was kind of weird," Fitz comments. "I've never seen him so worked up about something."

"About the elf?" Sophie asks.

"No," he muses. "The forest. We always play base quest around the lake, and Everglen's so secure that it shouldn't be an issue." He furrows his eyebrows. "Until now."

"Hey, that's not what you said when you tried to sneak me in that one time," Keefe jokes, laughing when Fitz begins to protest loudly.

As the boys exchange teasing remarks with each other, Biana reaches forward and touches Sophie by the arm.

"I don't think the goblins will find anything," Biana tells her.

"Why?" Sophie asks, her heart pounding. "No one can lightleap out, can they?"

Biana shakes her head. "That's the thing, Sophie. I couldn't tell for sure, but it looked like the person just... disappeared in front of me. Like into thin air."

"So they're a Vanisher?" Maybe it was Alvar.

"No, it didn't look like a Vanisher. I would've known." Biana bites her lip. "It was darker. And misty. Almost like a shadow."