Kai Parker ~ Crush

Word Count- 3,582

Summary- Kai Parker is your best friend, and you can't deny your feelings for him any longer, so you tell him how you feel, but he rejects you. You try to talk to him, but he ignores you and ends up leaving for months upon end, leaving you wondering what you did that was so terrible that you drove him out of town. One day, Stefan, your best friend, calls you and tells you that Kai is at the Mystic Grill. You quickly speed to The Grill to confront Kai, but it doesn't go the way you planned it to.

You sat on the couch with your best friend, Kai Parker, watching a movie and laughing. You loved Kai, and he loved you. You were the only person who gave him a chance and saw that he did have good in him and that he was redeemable. In fact, you were the one who saved his life at the wedding, seconds before Damon who have killed him. You liked Kai more than a friend, and you wanted to tell him so badly for so long, and tonight you were finally shooting your shot. You were almost positive that Kai felt the same for you. The way he would cuddle you or casually throw his arm over your shoulder or even when he would kiss you on the cheek goodbye. Right now, you sat on the couch, cuddled into his chest while his arm was slung around you, mindlessly rubbing circles into your shoulder, wearing a white cropped tank top and Christmas booty shorts.

You sat up and turned cross-legged to face him. He looked at you with his eyebrows raised, ready for whatever you were about to say. Without thinking, his eyes scanned your body, licking his lip as he did so, causing you to blush.

"So, Kai, I wanted to talk to you about something that I've been thinking about for a while now," You said, nervously tucking your hair behind your ear.

"A/N," He placed a hand on your knee, sending sparks through your body. "You can tell me anything. You're my best friend," He finished with a smile.

"Okay," You nodded. "Okay, so I- jeez this is embarrassing. I um-" You nervously laughed. Kai looked slightly worried but gave you a reassuring smile, giving you the confidence that you needed. "Kai, I like you... as more than a friend. You're just- You're always there for me, and I can depend on you like I can't with anyone else. You are one of the sweetest people I know, and I think I would literally deteriorate without you," You laughed, refusing to meet his eyes. "What I'm trying to say is, I really, really like you, and I think we could-"

"A/N," He said softly. You looked up, meeting his blue-grey eyes. They were filled with a hint of joy, but that joy was covered by what looked like anger, confusion, and sympathy. "You... like me?" He asked in a mocking tone. You furrowed your eyebrows and cocked your head. You say the way his face changed from hurt to mischief.

"Is that so hard to believe?" You asked.

"No, it isn't," He said cockily.

"Well, um, do you- do you like-"

"Do I like you?" He finished your question. You nodded your head. He sucked in a deep breath, "N-no, I don't. I'm, uh, I'm actually talking to this girl." You could feel your heart shattering all at once. Your head started pounding from the emotional state you were in. Your mouth formed an 'o' and you nodded your head, plastering a fake smile on your face as tears started to well up in your eyes. You could see how much he was struggling with what he was about to say next. He looked around the room frantically, "Yeah, um, her name's..." He searched the room, "Fluorescent. Yeah, Fluorescent. She's beautiful and, uh, kind and great in bed," He laughed evilly.

You just looked at him like he was a totally different person. You had just professed your sacred feelings for him, and here he was, rubbing his new relationship in your face.

"Well, um, sh-she sounds lovely," You said frantically. You stood from your spot on the couch and fake-yawned. "I'm really tired, so I think we sh-should call it a night," You told him as a tear dropping from your eye. He nodded and slowly walked to your door. You walked behind him, trying to get yourself together. He opened your door and turned around to say goodbye. You could see a flash of pain and regret wash over his features when he looked at your broken expression, but it was gone as fast as it came. "Well, bye Kai," You said and leaned in for a hug, but he didn't return it.