Chapter 1: Found

A cold, chilly wind swept through Wellston that night. It was 8 P.M, or maybe it was almost 9, and the sun had already set. Many people were already locked up in there homes cuddled up in blankets and fuzzy sweaters as it was one of the coldest nights in a while.
However, this wasn't the case for a certain middle-aged, teal-haired man who was paying for groceries at a local gas station. It was pretty late and he didn't feel like driving farther out to the grocery store for the few things he needed when he had a local gas station only about five minutes away with everything he needed. He really only needed some milk and eggs and as he watched the cashier bag his two items he realized he could've waited till the morning, but he would soon be glad that he went out when he did because of what, or more specifically, who he found that night.
The teal-haired man adjusted his glasses and absentmindedly rubbed his beard, which was equally as teal as his hair, as he watched the cashier struggle with his purchases.
"Ah! I-I'm so sorry I'm new here and I have no idea how to work this computer!" The young dark greenette male stuttered. Most likely someone of the lower tier status judging by his behavior.
"It's alright. I can pay cash if you can't figure that out." He responded to the very visibly nervous younger as he watched his pink eyes frantically scan the computer screen in front of him.
"Oh, here we go! Uh, Vaughn, right?" The greenette sheepishly looked up at him waiting for his confirmation.
"Yes that's me."
"W-well it says it accepted your credit c-card so I think you're good to go n-now. Would you like a receipt?"
"No that's alright. I'll be going now." Vaughn nodded to him as he grabbed his card and started to walk out the automatic sliding doors.
"N-no problem! S-sorry it took so long!" The cashier called after him.
Vaughn stepped outside into the cold night. Even though he had a coat and gloves on he still shivered slightly as a cold breeze blew past him. He walked the short distance to his car in the parking lot and spared a glance at the few abandoned cars that were thrown right next to the gas station on the lawn. No one even bothered to move them or even knew why they were put there, they had just been sitting there for what Vaughn thought to be about two years now, all rusted with missing tires and broken windows. In between two of those cars, Vaughn could've sworn he saw an arm. He tried shrugging it off putting his singular grocery bag in the passenger seat of the car, but curiosity got the best of him as he glanced back to the same spot and was sure he was seeing an arm.
Cautiously, he made his way over to the area of rusted cars and quickly found out he was right. There was someone sitting in between the two cars and to say he was shocked at who it was, was an understatement.
"John?!" Vaughn recognized that messy black hair anywhere and the Wellston Private High School uniform only further confirmed who it was. "John, what are you doing out here it's freezing?" Upon not getting any answer out of the ravenette, or any movement for that matter, Vaughn gently placed his hand on Johns shoulder and rolled him over to face him, as John was originally on his side facing away from him.
Vaughn suddenly felt sick to his stomach. The young male was freezing to the touch and his once sparkling golden eyes were now open and dull and stared lifelessly at him. 'How long has this kid been out here?!' He thought alarmingly. He honestly thought John was dead until he placed two fingers on his carotid artery on his neck to check his pulse and found one was still there. 'Something is very wrong.' Vaughn again thought to himself as he slowly and carefully slipped an arm under John's legs and another under his back, lifting the boy up bridal style. He couldn't just leave him here. God he was so cold!
Vaughn carried John to his car, the ravenette's head lulled back and his eyes were still open and staring into nothingness. He managed to somehow get his back car door open while holding a pretty tall teenager made out of pure muscle and layed John down inside. Looking at him closely under the inside lights of his car, Vaughn noticed his lips were a dark shade of blue and bits of frost clung to the tips of the boy's hair. It really started to settle in that the poor boy was most likely suffering from hypothermia and needed to be warmed up quick. Vaughn took off his coat and threw it over the slightly shivering boy while getting in the driver's seat and cranking the heat up as much as he could. He practically floored it all the way to his house while thanking whatever entity that was out there that there were hardly any cars on the roads that lead back to his house.
As Vaughn pulled into his two car garage, he shut the car off and quickly made his way to the left side back door of the car. John hadn't moved from the position he had placed him in and his soulless eyes were staring at the ceiling of the car as if it were the only thing in existence. Vaughn reached into the car and scooped up the boy with his coat still wrapped around his body, his head resting against his chest and his dark bangs covering his emotionless eyes. He took longer than he would've liked opening the door on the side of the garage that led into the house, but he got it eventually.
Vaughn's house was a pretty big one. Walking through the front door you will see tiled floor, a soft shade of brown, leading all directions into the rooms of the house. There was a large circular white carpet in the entryway and to the very right were stairs leading both upstairs and downstairs to the basement of the house. A little farther off to the right was a glass door leading into an office area, and beyond that an entryway into the living room where three big couches sat around a coffee table and a large TV in the front of it all. The living room opened up to the kitchen where a wooden table with six chairs sat and behind it, a modern day stove, oven, countertop, and walk-in pantry. From the utility room, where the laundry machines were, you walked straight and into the living room where you would turn left and head towards the staircase by the front of the house.
Vaughn toed off his shoes and made his way to the spiraling staircase by the front door.
Upstairs there were four bedrooms. Why Vaughn needed so many when it was just him, he didn't know but he was glad to have the extra space so his unexpected guest had a place to stay. He made his way over to the closest guest room on the left of the long hallway and carried the freezing, broken boy inside. He placed him on the bed and threw every single blanket in the room over him before leaving to find more. Vaughn practically tore up his house finding the heaviest and warmest blankets he could and eventually returned back to the guest room with a huge bundle of blankets in his arms making it impossible for him to see, completely relying on his memory to get to his destination.
As he walked through the door he dropped the blankets by the bed and noticed that John was now curled up into a protective ball with his head buried into his knees under the couple blankets he already had around him. He looked so small and vulnerable.
'At least he moved.' Vaughn thought. He was subconsciously glad he could no longer see John's face because he couldn't stand looking at those soulless eyes that were once so bright and promised a great future ahead. As he started to wrap the blankets around the ravenette he decided to try and talk to him.
"John?"
No answer or even any noise of acknowledgment was given to Vaughn in response.
"John, what happened to you? Did someone do something to you?"
Silence. Again there was no response, not even the crinkling of the bedsheets that would indicate the younger shifting his position even just a little bit. Vaughn sighed as he finished wrapping the last blanket around John. He looked like a human burrito, but it was necessary as the poor kid literally felt like an icicle.
Vaughn decided to just let John rest for the night, and maybe question him some more tomorrow depending on the state he was in. He gently placed a hand on the back of the young male's neck to check his temperature. John ever so slightly flinched at the touch, which didn't go unnoticed by Vaughn, but he was happier that John's temperature seemed to be slowly rising.
As Vaughn turned off the lights to the guest room and shut the door to it as he walked out, he couldn't help but wonder what had put John, someone so powerful, in such a traumatic state.