three

The class was huddled together, listening to Professor Slughorn's lecture on Felix Felicis. After the lesson, his assignment to them was to create it to their best capabilities. The best version would get House points.

"Lily, please just talk to her," pleaded Ivory.

"Now? There's no reason to. That'd be odd if I simply walked up to her and asked about the weather."

"The weather? Really, Lily? You could at least pretend to be dumb and ask for help," instructed Ivory.

"Ivory, the instructions are in the textbook. I'd be too dumb if I didn't know how to read."

"A reason is a reason."

"Not if it makes her think I'm bonkers," said Lily.

Ivory shrugged as she added Ashwinder egg to her cauldron. "What do you even like about her? She seems too normal and quiet."

"I fancy her because she's normal and polite. She simply doesn't have any friends. I'm sure she'd be lively if someone would just give her a chance."

"You're talking about yourself," stated Ivory.

"And if I am?"

"I'm starting to think you're getting a bit more narcissistic from being around James and Sirius too much."

"You're the one dating Sirius," retorted Lily.

Ivory sighed. "I am, and sometimes I lose brain cells."

Lily snorted. "Who wouldn't?"

Ivory hummed. "You wouldn't lose any if you started spending more time with Evanescence."

"I'm getting there!" hissed Lily.

"Clearly, you're not!"

"Girls, is something the matter here?" questioned Professor Slughorn.

"No, Professor," chirped Ivory, a bright smile on her face.

"All right. Lily, yours looks well," he complimented.

"Thank you, Professor," said Lily, smiling brightly at him.

He nodded and opened his mouth to say something before he caught sight of a rather dangerous way to crush up an Occamy eggshell. "Mr. Longbottom, do be careful!" he exclaimed, scurrying away.

Lily dropped her smile and let out a breath. "Thank you, Frank."

"You're such a snob," snickered Ivory.

Lily rolled her eyes. "Shut it."