CHAPTER NINE

CHAPTER NINE.

The spring of Mith was always beautiful but Phoenix preferred to observe it from afar. Her little painting studio in the high towers of the city was the perfect place to observe. The perfect hideaway for her and now, Obi-Wan Kenobi, the Jedi Padawan who she had spoken to in the market not a few weeks earlier.

It was strange how the universe had them meet repeatedly until eventually, Phoenix asked him to accompany her to the studio one day. She had suggested the morning but it turned out he was busy with Jedi business. So it was now the evening hours of the spring day and the sun was still relatively high in the sky, creeping down soon to set.

Phoenix was painting, as she had been all afternoon, and Obi-Wan was reading. He was sitting behind the easel in the armchair. His elbows were rested on his knees, the book held up in front of his face. It was a Jedi book. Phoenix wasn't sure what book and she didn't want to overstep so she didn't ask. Not unless he wanted to talk about it.

Phoenix continued to glance back at him as she painted. Her smile widened just a little bit more each time before she eventually was too distracted to paint. With the last flick of her brush, she gave in and placed it down before stepping back a few times. A soft sigh escaped her lips.

But she didn't say anything to him and simply walked over to the window seat and got a little more comfortable. She pulled the hand-knitted blanket over herself and watched him for a moment before finally speaking, "Do you want to sit with me?". A hopeful note to her voice as she smiled softly. Obi-Wan looked up from his book and almost seemed relieved by the question.

Without even responding, he closed the book and walked over to her. He sat by her side but was too far away for her liking. So, she grabbed his arm and pulled him closer, a nervous smile on her face. He looked at her and she gave him puppy eyes which surprisingly, worked. This made him give in and shuffle closer, the blanket being draped across his lap by her a moment afterwards.

"Sharing a blanket with me won't kill you, Obi-Wan," Phoenix teased with a small smile. Obi-Wan looked at her and there was something in his gaze that confused her. It was almost like he was cursing her for saying that but instead, he tutted and tried to keep his face neutral but he couldn't help but smile.

"The Jedi Code does not forbid this but sharing a blanket could lead to anything," He said, teasing her a little. Phoenix had always been curious about the Jedi way. Well, not always. She was only curious after she met Obi-Wan because she wondered why he had chosen this lifestyle. It was so different to anything she had experienced and she always wanted to know more. He hadn't indulged much thus far. Though, granted they had only known each other for a few weeks. It was barely enough time to share stories, let alone their reasons for whatever lifestyle they picked.

"What could this lead to, Obi-Wan? What could sharing a blanket possibly lead to?" Phoenix asked, nudging him playfully He looked at her and stayed silent for a long moment. Phoenix watched his eyebrows pull together and could practically hear the cogs turning. Then he smiled and shook his head disapprovingly.

"So many things, especially with you here" Obi-Wan responded. The teasing conversation between the two of them made Phoenix grin but almost feel insecure. She was suddenly so aware of the closeness between them. The brilliant colour of his eyes and the freckles across his cheeks. She turned away from him, leaning against the glass.