Chapter 17: Brainwash

(A previous survey decided that I'd skip the cavalry battle)

"Izuku, we need to talk." Izuku was sitting alone on the edge of the student bleachers. Ojiro walked up to him with a concerned frown plastered all over his face.

"Talk? Sure thing, man. What's up?" He responded.

"I just wanted to warn you about your opponent's quirk. I think he can brainwash anyone who answers him. It's most likely why I wasn't able to remember anything from the cavalry battle." Izuku nodded, and glanced over at the image of Hitoshi Shinso.

"So that's how... well, thanks. I really appreciate it." While not he wasn't overly enthusiastic, Ojiro knew that his classmate was simply going over the potential options for fighting. Going against someone who possessed a brainwashing quirk wasn't a situation that any would trifle wish. Especially not someone like Izuku, who'd already announced his victory as a prerequisite to the festival's actual events.

"No problem, dude. Good luck, and win for me!" Ojiro encouraged, while walking back to his seat. Izuku nodded once more, acknowledging him, and looked straight down to the concrete floor. His seat was isolated from the rest of the class, yet it didn't exactly feel that way. He could felt eyes all over him, some from his own class... class 1-B... even some spectators' eyes locked onto his body.

While Izulu was deep in his own thoughts, Present Mic's voice filled the ears of everyone in the Arena. He didn't hear the words exactly, but he noticed that his face and Shinso's were the only on the jumbo-tron, making it evident that they were up for the first fight.

Izuku silently left his seat without alerting anyone nearby. He walked down the stairs and towards the entrance to the field. Along the way, he contemplated the potential opponents for later on the tournament.

'Most likely... it'll be Todoroki, Iida... then probably Bakugo. Ugh...'

He continued down the stairs, his echoing footsteps emboldening his anxiety that he'd suppressed. The loud cheers from the audience trickled into his ears. It all made one thing clear. This was now the chance to prove himself.

"COMING OUT ONTO THE FIELD FIRST, IS THE ONLY STUDENT FROM GENERAL STUDIES TO MAKE IT PAST THE OBSTACLE COURSE, HITOSHI SHINSO!!!!" The crowd erupted in a cheer for the purple haired student as he walked onto the field. Even from the large distance between himself and Shinso, Izuku could see the dead yet determined expression on his face.

"AND SECOND, IS THE STUDENT WHO DECLARED HIS VICTORY BEFORE THE FESTIVAL HAD EVEN BEGUN, AND DOMINATED IN THE FIRST TWO ROUNDS, THE CLASS REPRESENTATIVE IZUKU MIDORIYA!!"

Izuku stepped out of the tunnel and revealed himself to the audience. The crowd erupted once more, however within the cheers came jeers and boos that were only to be expected.

The two opponents made eye contact, and silently communicated their raging confidence. Time seemed to slow down. Everything and everyone was focused on their fight.

"ON THE CRACK OF MY WHIP, THE BATTLE WILL BEGIN!!" Midnight announced. Within a few seconds, she waved her hand that grasped the weapon, and the weapon snapped loudly, signifying the start of the match.

Izuku quickly shifted into his toxin form and powered up 25% beast mode. His veins glowed brilliantly gold and orange. Long flails formed out of both of his hands. His right foot dug into the ground, but right before he kicked off, he heard a voice coming from the other end of the field.

"You must be extremely confident, Izuku Midoriya. To be blessed with such a quirk must be a fantastic feeling." Izuku looked to Shinso to see his lips moving. He opened his mouth to form a reply, but remembered Ojiro's warning.