Prologue

The Pact
• • •

The two of them sat there on the bench, watching their older siblings and their friends throw the football around and laugh. They planned on joining once they finished their ice cream, but they had gotten a bigger size than the others- despite their smaller mouths. So therefore, it was taking them a lot longer to finish.

"Are you excited for tomorrow?" Jake asked down to Connor, both of them casually swinging their legs off the side of the bench.

Tomorrow was Connor's first day of second grade, as well as Jake's first day of fifth grade.

"Yeah," he replied, continuing to watch as the ball was thrown between them all. "Hey Jake?" Connor looked up at him, his eyes big and blue.

"Yeah?" Jake looked back at him. Connor wasn't too much shorter than him, but he was still shorter due to the slight age difference.

"Do you ever miss your mom and dad?" He asked and then licked his ice cream, the question casual.

"I don't really remember them too well," Jake admitted, recalling his thoughts on the matter. He didn't talk about it too much. "But ya, I miss having them here. I wish I got to know them before they left us."

"Same with me," Connor agreed, being in a similar situation himself.

"Let's make a promise," Jake chimed back in, turning to face Connor and sticking out his pinkie finger. Connor linked his through Jake's before he could even say what the promise was. "No silly, you do that after I say it," Jake reached and took Connor's hand a little away from his. Connor giggled and apologized.

"What is the promise?" Connor urged him forward.

"Let's promise that we'll never have to miss each other. Because we'll always be here," Jake replied, and Connor smiled wide.

"I like that promise," he said, and Jake smiled back at him.

"Now you do it," Jake told him, and Connor linked his pinkie with his once again. This time, it was binding. They then went back to eating their rapidly-melting ice cream.

They'd forget that day, what the weather was like, what they all did together... But not that promise.

It was their ice cream pact, and they would never forget it.