09. Paris Young

✺✺✺

                TASHA WAS COVERED IN BLOOD. NONE OF IT WAS HERS.

                "What's going on?" Paris breathed, clutching the doorframe to Room 316. "Dr. Meyer?" 

                "Nobody touch me!" Tasha screamed.

                  She stood, her entire body shaking, with her hands bawled into fists. There was an IV cord laced between her fingers, the sharp edge jutting like a makeshift knife.

                 Paris's mouth opened. Horror—sheer horror.

                 "You stabbed Dr. Meyer?" she gasped.

                 "He was trying to touch me," Tasha snarled, and the blood dripped down her knuckles. Splattering onto the white tiled floor.

                 A nurse knelt on the other side of the bed. Helping Dr. Meyer.

                 To Paris, she said, "He was taking her vitals. I was here the whole time."

                 "Nothing inappropriate?" Paris said under her breath.

                 Nurse Connie nodded. "You know I'd never let something like that happen under my watch."

                 "Get him out of here," Paris ordered. "I'll handle her."

                 "Are you sure?" said Nurse Connie, lifting Dr. Meyer to his feet.

                 The old German man was muttering in his native tongue. "Dummes verdammtes Mädchen."

                  As soon as they were gone, Paris let herself scan Tasha.

                  No, I'm not sure, she had wanted to say.

                  Had taking Tasha under her wing been a mistake? 

                  But all she could think of was Evelyn Tribeca, and the words she had whispered in Tasha's ear. Repulsive homosexual. 

                  A little girl didn't grow up with a mother like that and come out unscathed.

                  But this . . . stabbing a doctor. 

                  The hospital board would use this against Paris.

                  "Tasha?" she tried softly.

                  The little girl was still shaking uncontrollably, eyes closed, knuckles white. The knitted pink beanie was low over her eyes, and the glossy cocoa hair was uneven on her head.

                  "Tasha, listen to my voice," Paris said.

                  She had been a pediatrician for a long time—dealing with her children was her specialty.