Chapter 33: The Revelation

chapter 33: the revelation •••

The Crest is barely puttering along by the time the lava fields of Nevarro come into view. You sit in the cockpit with Din, the baby babbling happily on your lap as he looks through the transparisteel. You giggle softly at his enthusiasm, brushing a hand over one of his ears repetitively as he reaches a hand out. The other presses against your stomach, a new habit of his. You assume he can guess whatever's been going on with you, and this is his best attempt at comforting you.

"Are you excited to see our friends again, little one?" you ask him in a soft voice, getting the baby to look at you as he coos loudly in response. You laugh, pressing a kiss to his wrinkly forehead as his eyes glow brighter. "Me too."

"Hey," Din starts to say, turning his helmet around in his chair to look at the two of you, "don't have too much fun without me back there."

"You hear that, ad'ika?" you question, sharing a gaze full of amusement with the baby. "Sounds like someone's jealous."

The baby snorts and looks over at his father, who also scoffs as he returns his attention to landing the rickety Crest. The descent is bumpy, but Din manages to land just outside the city, right in the same place where you'd first met him. The thought makes your smile grow larger as you stand up with the baby in your arms. As Din stands up, though, you can tell he's looking rather longingly at your son. You offer the baby to him and he eagerly takes him from you. The baby coos and nestles into his father's shoulder, warming your chest as you lead the way down to the hull.

When Din opens the hatch, the ramp falters. He sighs, muttering a curse underneath his breath that makes you nudge his shoulder. His helmet turns to look at you, tilting in a questioning manner as you raise your brow at him. "Not in front of the little one," you chastise him softly, making him chuckle and use his free hand to support your lower back as you continue forward on the broken ramp.

Your cheeks nearly hurt from your smile as you spot Cara and Karga already waiting for you just beyond the ship. Din lifts his hand from your back to instead take one of your hands, helping you to sit down on the edge of the ramp and jump down to the ground. Din follows right after, joining you at your side as you approach your friends.

"Looks like someone could use some repairs," Karga calls out, a fond smile on his face. You chuckle and raise your brow as Din tilts his helmet to agree. They shake hands once the distance between you has been closed.

"How's my credit around here?" Din questions playfully, offering the same handshake to Cara as Karga takes your hand and leaves a chaste kiss on the back of it.

"I think something could be arranged," Karga answers, watching as you and Cara share a quick yet meaningful embrace. "Isn't that right, Marshal?"

Cara looks down at the baby in Din's arm and smiles, brushing her hand along his ear before she looks back up at Din. "I'm sure we can work somethin' out," Cara says with a chuckle.

"I'll get my best people on it," Karga assures Din, leaning back to call out to a few nearby mechanics. "Hey, fellas! Let's fix this couple's ship! I want it good as new." He turns back to you, smiling a little more as he faces you directly. "So, Marshal Dune here told me you two officially tied the knot a while ago." You share a glance with Din, unable to keep yourself from smiling as you nod and look back at Karga. "Well, congratulations. I can't say I didn't see that coming." He pauses when the baby coos, looking down at him with a sparkling gaze. "And you, come here, little one!"

Karga laughs as he gently takes the baby from Din's arm. You're happy to see Din give him freely to his old friend, any past skepticism having been left behind as Karga now looks upon the child not unlike he's his own family.