Chapter 22

Neither Rhys nor Anna mentioned anything to the others about killing Kara. Anna was sitting next to the window and Huxley was stuffed in between her and Calvin. Drew was in the front seat making phone calls.

The car ride was quiet for a few hours. Anna listened to the one half of Drew's conversations as he begged for people to let them stay with them. Huxley was quiet and when Anna looked over at him his head was bobbing as he was fast asleep.

Rhys was driving aimlessly down the highway. He pulled over to get gas and Anna got out of the car to stretch her legs. Huxley woke and yawned as he stretched his arms up over his head. They went inside and bought a couple of snacks.

When they got back into the car Drew was on the phone again. Rhys pulled out of the gas station and back onto the highway. Anna and Huxley passed a bag of non-salted chips in between them.

"Really?" Drew said to the person on the phone with a smile on his face.

It perked all of their attention and they looked at him.

"No, we'll get there as soon as we can," Drew said. "Thank you so much."

Drew hung up the phone. He turned in his seat so he could face them.

"I got us a place to stay for a little bit," he said.

"Where?" Rhys asked.

"With Sybil," he said.

Rhys chuckled and shook his head.

"That's a name I haven't heard in a long time," he said.

"Who is Sybil?" Anna asked.

"Drew's ex-girlfriend," Calvin said.

Calvin snickered and Drew scowled at him.

"She is not my ex," Drew said.

"Is she a vampire?" Anna asked.

"She's a witch," Drew said.

"More like a bitch," Calvin said.

Huxley held his hands up in defense.

"Woah, I'm staying out of this," he said.

"Are we even heading in the right direction?" Rhys asked.

"Um." Drew scratched the back of his neck. "You kind of are. We need to go to Ottawa."

Calvin bolted up so that he was sitting straight. He shut his book and pushed Huxley to the side. He poked his head between the two front seats. Huxley was leaning against Anna, squishing her against the door.

"Ottawa?" Calvin asked. "You can't be serious. That's almost forty hours away from us."

"Correction," Drew said. "According to my phone, it is fifty-seven hours away."

"What?" Calvin said. "No, not happening."

"Where else do you plan on us going?" Rhys asked.

Calvin shook his head. He leaned back in his seat and folded his arms across his chest. He was tapping his one foot as he looked out the window.

"Rhys, I'm going to need you to pull over," Calvin said.

"I'm not dropping you off on the side of the highway," Rhys said. "We are all going to Ottawa."

"I'm not spending fifty-seven hours crammed in this car with the four of you," Calvin said.

"Maybe it will go by fast," Huxley said. "We could play some road trip games."