Chapter 28: Bound For Life (Part Three)

I had made it successfully past Carter and his supposed new fling before entering the car with Byron following behind. The ride was noiseless, to the extent of me actually wanting to speak. I should have brought a book were the words that droned on and on in my head before the buzzing of a cell phone interrupted my regret. We were on a lane that had been stalled thanks to a red light. Byron answered the call and the voice on the other line seemed too familiar. 

"How'd you even get my number?" Byron asked the person who said something that made him groan before gesturing the phone to me. 

I furrowed my brows in a confused way wondering who it was. I hesitated before removing the phone from his hand and putting it to my ear.

"Hello?"

"Has Byron's brilliant plan failed yet?" The voice asked with a monotone tone. I then knew it was Kelly.

"Actually; We got them out of the place." I said feeling proud of myself but then I frowned. "Uh- Byron's dropping me home now. How are you and Aven?" I asked, trying to change the subject

"About to leave the bakery. But Aubrey said something about having classes or something. So main point: You'll have to pick up Gabby from karate classes." She said with a yawn

"Yay." I cheered unenthusiastically. There Aubrey went lying again. She didn't have classes so I assumed it was an obvious lie to go meet up with some new frat boy. I sighed and waited for Kelly to reply again.

"I'll call you when you get home." She said before the line went dead.

I hung up the phone and passed it back to Byron, just as the slow red light switched to green and we were moving once again. About twenty minutes later we had arrived to the training dojo. Gabby's school had chosen a number of students to attend the dojo freely after school. But this had been done way before mom had came back so when we told her the news the night she arrived she had took Gabby shopping. Yet I still didn't tell mom about the letter incident. Not like it was necessary for her to know...

The atmosphere of the training facility was quite homely. Barefoot children stood on the sidelines of the huge mat in the center of the room in their white karategi with their different color belts around their waists. I scanned the faces of each child until Gabby's pigtails came to view. She stood in the corner of the dojo, playing with the strap of her small purple duffle bag that held her change of clothing. Her eyes seemed to be watching something or someone.

My eyes followed hers until they fell upon a brunette boy about the same age as her, surrounded by an Asian boy and light brown skin boy. He had that skater hair and wore a yellow belt.

"Looks like someone has a crush." Byron said. I had even forgotten that he had entered with me. About to agree I stopped myself when I realized I wasn't talking to him.

Ignoring his words, I went over to Gabby who was startled to see me. 

"C-Cerise, what are you doing here?" She asked, no longer looking at the boy.

"Uh-Aubrey told me that I needed to pick you up. Whatcha looking at?" I asked, resisting the urge to smile.

"No-No one!" She said a little too loud, getting stares from the kids nearby.

"You have a crush on that kid over there, don't you?" And the resistance has been overcome. Too bad I couldn't help the smile.

With a defeated sigh, Gabby shrugged. "His name is Ryder Dane." 

"Gabby Dane." I tapped my chin playfully, "Has a nice ring to it."

"Cerise!" She hissed in a low voice, hitting my arm. 

"Okay, okay." I laughed

"He just started Monday and he's really cool. But I've never actually talked to him." She explained as I nodded slowly.

"Maybe you should give it a try." Byron butt in, entering the conversation and sliding beside me.

"No way. I can't talk to boys. I'd probably freeze up or something." She rubbed her arm embarrassingly

"There's a first for everything." I said with a sympathetic smile, watching as she toyed with her fingers for a while before letting out another sigh.

"I'll be right back." She whispers. I watch as she makes her way over to the boy whose friends had just left. Right on cue.

"Why is that I'm great with other people's love life, but not mine?" I thought out aloud with a laugh, sitting on the small bench in front of us.

"Because you're in love with a jerk like Carter." Byron replied bluntly, leaning against the wall with folded arms.

"Weird that you can actually call someone a jerk" I scoffed

"You're being angry over nothing." 

"I'm being angry because you've been horrible to me ever since middle school and now can stand up here and tell me that I'm being angry over nothing." 

Before he got the chance to reply Gabby had already started making her way back to us.

"Is he still looking?" She asked and I made it unnoticeable that I was looking at the little boy whose eyes were no longer on Gabby. 

"No." I replied just as she squealed silently

"He invited me to play laser tag Saturday!" 

"That-That's great." I said. I was happy for her, but the thought of my youngest sister going on somewhat a date before me didn't sit well. But like I said; I was happy for her.

*

The car motor came to an end once we pulled into the driveway. I opened my door then Gabby's. Byron got out as well. Sadly.

"Cerise. You can't stay mad at me." He says ever so confidently as I approach my front door. I turn to face him as he leans on his car with a smirk on his face waiting for me to respond.

"Bet I can." I promise and turn back to face the door. I can still feel his eyes on my back. Several seconds later the car starts up again and soon skitched off. I turn around to see it gone and sigh in relief.

"Is he your boyfriend?" Gabby who I completley forgot was there, asked. "Because if he is; You didn't tell me you had a boyfriend and you kinda tell me everything. How'd you get over Carter?" She rambled on

"Byron is not my boyfriend." I said as words stopped leaving her mouth. She pursed her lips together to say something else, but then the front door opened. The light blinding us both. It was around seven thirty and surprisingly almost dark out.

My face dropped in remorse and a wave of guilt washed over me when I realized mom was standing in the doorway. She looked exhausted and had already changed out of her clothing and into something comfortable. 

"C'mon in, girls." She said and we did so.

She closed the front door behind and then turned to face me. 

"Cerise. When were you planning on telling me this?"

Nausea filled my gut at the thoughts in my head. This was it. Mom had found out. Kelly was right. I made my up mind and decided to take my punishment.

 ____________________

 Vote and Comment