75. You Made My Sister Sad

_________________

.

.

.

"River, chew!" Mateo said through the screen while she munched on her cereal.

"I am chewing." She said, her words muffled due to her mouth being full. Of course she wasn't chewing. She was swallowing mouthful of cereal as she prepared a decent breakfast for her housemates and lunch for her kids.

It had been a week since they were back in New York and the kids were going back to their kindergarten that day. And she was going back to work only next Friday because it was the beginning of a new month and she also had a lot of paper work to fill and a report from the psychiatry and neurology department stating she was fit to resume work.

And the director of the hospital, Mr. Simmons, had called her last day saying she could take all the time in the world and he would personally see to it that her schedule wasn't as hectic as it was before, something River knew for a fact had to do with a certain Italian sleep-deprived Capo who was face-timing her at five in the morning, Wyoming time.

"Mateo, you are snoozing." River rolled her eyes as she washed down her cereal with some coffee.

It was seven in the morning in New York and the surgeon had woken up feeling like she hadn't eaten in weeks so the first thing she had done was getting herself some light breakfast.

Of course, she was going to eat the peanut butter pancakes drenched in Nutella that she was going to prepare for her kids since it was their first day back in school!

Dr. River Johnson was capable of eating and eating without being too full to eat any more.

"I am not!" He said, yawning.

River gave him a flat look before taking out all the ingredients I would need for their breakfast since she was done making the chicken sandwiches and and cut fruits for the kids' lunch boxes.

"What are you making?" He asked. He was in his office, his face resting on his palm. He looked like he had been working all night. Of course he was, he was eyeballs deep in work, having to juggle dealing with the investigation and his international business, along with his cover as a restaurant owner.

"Pancakes for breakfast. Chicken sandwich for lunch." She stated, putting together the dry ingredients into a bowl.

"I miss your cooking." He yawned yet again.

"I am not the one staying in Wyoming longer than planned." River commented, rolling her eyes.

He looked over at her with a little smirk on his face. "Miss me?"

She gave him a look and then said extra sweetly, "Of course I do honey love. You know I can't live without you, munchkin!" She pouted, making sure she rocked sideways like she had seen all her the Korean actresses do when they were trying to be cute.

He rolled his eyes. "That doesn't suit you at all!" He pointed out before turning back to his phone.

"Why are you not sleeping Mateo?"

"I had work to do all night."

"You should get some rest. You look like a zombie." She said as she broke the eggs into the bowl.

"I will. I am worried I won't wake up on time if I sleep now." Mateo sighed, typing away.

"Wake up for what?" She looked up.

"Seeing the twins off to school." Mateo said absent-mindedly, still typing away on his phone.

She stopped mixing the batter as she looked at him.