Two

- Brennan's POV -

"Brennan!" my mom's voice shouted as she ripped the covers off of me. "You need to get up before you're late for school." 

I opened up my eyes to look at her. "I'm up."

She was already fully dressed with her hair and makeup done. Typical Valerie. She probably already had a full spread of breakfast ready and then when we went to school she probably would go to pilates with her friends.

As a stay-at-home mom, she didn't have anything else to do. 

"Good." my mom gave me a smile. "It is the first day of your senior year after all."

She walked out of my room and I sat in my bed for a moment. I just needed a few minutes to wake up. 

I got up and got myself together before I headed downstairs for breakfast. As I predicted, there was a full spread of breakfast food. My brothers were still here and I assumed that my sister Maya was still upstairs getting ready.

"There's the senior!" my oldest brother, Tyler cheered.

God, when was he going back to New York?

"Here I am." I picked up a plate.

"Are you ready for the last go-round?" Cameron questioned me.

Cameron was my second-oldest brother. He was a senior at Wake Forest and he played football, president of too many clubs to name just like Tyler.

They were frick and frack. I was always the odd brother out, but I survived.

I ate a piece of bacon. "I guess."

My mom scoffed. "You better be ready if you want to go to Yale or Wake Forest like your brothers. Brennan this is not the year to slack off."

I don't even want to go Yale or Wake Forest but whatever.

"Where's dad?" I asked everyone.

"Your father had an early flight to Chicago for a business trip. He'll be back on Sunday." my mom informed me.

It was like we only saw him on holidays and during the summer. Other than that, he was gone doing whatever investors and businessmen do. That man probably couldn't tell anyone a single personal thing about me.

"He's never here. It's like he's dead." I scoffed as I sat down to eat.

"Brennan!" my mother scolded me. "Your father works hard for us. Do not disrespect him like that. Not in his house!"

My sister twirled into the kitchen. "Good morning family."

"Maya Imogen!" my mom gasped. "Please tell me that you're not wearing that to school. You look like you're about to board a flight."

She was wearing a sweatshirt, sweatpants, and sneakers. At least she looked comfortable.

"What's wrong with this?" Maya threw her hands down.

"Go put real clothes on. At least some jeans. I didn't raise a slob." she ordered. "Now Maya! Also, don't eat too many carbs. Your midsection is looking bigger."

Sheesh.

Maya stomped away to go change her clothes and my mom started to drink some kind of green juice.

"Mom?" I began. "Don't you think that was a little harsh? She is an impressionable teenage girl."

My mom rolled her eyes. "Don't tell me how to parent. You're not a parent and you wouldn't understand."