chapter twenty-three

     Phoenix and Obi-Wan had been trailing the assassin for at least the past four hours or so. The assassin had really only been going from small bar to bar. Conversing with some people but doing nothing really out of the ordinary. She seemed to be acting like a pretty normal citizen for most of the day. Then she got a hover taxi which Obi-Wan suggested they follow and it turned out she was heading towards the posh, nice part of town. This is what confused Phoenix. Why would she be going towards that part of town? It was a little strange. There couldn't be anything down there for a criminal to go for. Unless she was planning on stealing from somebody but even that felt like a bad idea. There were cameras everywhere on those sort of estates. Phoenix had seen them. She always felt watched when she had visited Jax so the assassin wouldn't be stupid enough to try and steal.

     But they followed anyway. More just out of curiosity to where the assassin was going. It wasn't long until the taxi in front stopped and the assassin got out. Walking the rest of the way towards a set of gates that Phoenix knew looked familiar. They were white dura-metal. Tall and fancy, spiralling high above anyone who walked by. The grey bricked walls extended from them and wrapped around the whole perimeter of the estate. The gray boulders had a camera attached and there was a keypad next to the door with a comm link. It was so familiar and Phoenix couldn't place why.

     The assassin walked up to the buzzer of the gates and pressed onto it. Phoenix and Obi-Wan watched, making the taxi slow down a bit. But they were gone away from the estate before they could see who came to the door to allow her in. Phoenix couldn't help but feel those gates were familiar but really what did she know. She hadn't been around this area for a few weeks at least. The visits to see Jax's family were few and far between. He always came to see her either in the suburbs or at her studio; The interaction with his family were little and that made sense considering Phoenix stole his sister's Senate seat.

     But still there was something familiar and she couldn't work out why. Maybe it was a family friend of Jax's that lived there that she had visited one or two times but what did they need for an assassin. She knew that the rich got bored and sometimes wanted to get people killed but doing it so obviously felt like a bad idea. Doing it out in the open seemed like an incredibly stupid idea but it might have just been common place for the people in this area to hire criminals. Maybe it was normal though Phoenix doubted that.

     "Did you recognise the gates?" Obi-Wan asked as he watched Phoenix's face. It morphed from her eyebrows being pulled together in concentration to a confused slouch. Her hands resting on her lap as she stared at the ceiling. He was watching her go through the motions but either way she didn't come up with anything. Only hazed memories that she wasn't even sure if they were real.

     "I think so but I just don't know why. There's something about them," She admitted as she looked at him. He cocked his eyebrows and she shrugged. She didn't know what it was but there was just something. She couldn't work out what and she knew that she was unlikely to remember what. There was just something, in the back of her mind, trying to push it's way forward.