Chapter 14: Oh, so it's a crossover now, is it?

"Let's try this again, shall we?" Loki said, his voice thoughtful, probably thinking of what went wrong last time.

I nodded seriously. I was going to get this right. I was.

I closed my eyes and concentrated, slipping into the void of darkness.

Loki's voice slipped through the void, and his instructions filled my mind once again, but this time, I studied them carefully, trying to leave no margin for error.

I felt the warm sheet hovering over me and I grabbed it and let it rest on my shoulders. It sunk in and I felt it slowly cover every inch of me.

"Very good," I heard a far off voice say, "come out of it, careful now."

I blinked out of my trance, exhausted and Annabeth raised an amused eyebrow.

"What?" I asked, attempting to look at her with an stern look.

"You didn't shift like the other gods did, you kind of flashed and changed for a brief moment," she said and I flinched.

"Please don't refer to me with that term."

"Whatever you say, Seaweed. But facts are facts. You just have to accept that."

I groaned as Loki nodded.

"She's right, you know," he said and Annabeth raised a dubious eyebrow, "you need to accept the fact that you are half Norse in order for the cure to work, if it works at all."

"What is the cure?" I asked.

"I cannot say," Loki said, cryptically, "it may not work if I do. There is always someone listening."

I nodded. That made sense.

"There is something I need to show you," Loki said, with a rare look of sincerity on his face.

"Is there something wrong?" I asked, standing up quickly. I groaned and clutched my head as the floor became unsteady and the room tipped.

Annabeth ran to steady me. I leant heavily on her as she helped me get to the sofa.

"No," he said, taking a worn leather pouch out of his pocket, "but there is a decision to be made."

"What do you mean?"

He took out a polished round domino-like thing from the bag.

"This is a rune," he explained, "and not just any rune. This is my rune.
Kaunaz."

He handed the rune to me and I studied it, studying its smooth texture and the pattern carved in it, which was like the letter chi cut in half but only the right side of it.

"Why are you showing me this?" I asked, placing the rune back in the bag.

"Because," Loki said, looking away, "there are two main types of magic. Seiðr and runes. Rune magic is more natural, their magic is based on the elements: fire, earth, water, air. They are harder to learn, but once used, can be very powerful. Seiðr is for enchanting. Trickery, telling the future, that sort of thing. I think that is why you were not able to wield it very well. You are not an Enchanter. You are a Warrior."

"Which means?"

"It means that I can no longer help you. I do not dabble in the art of the runes. That is Odin's job. However, I will be here to assist you, and when you are ready, I will take you to the possible cure."

"Thank you," I said.

"Oh, I haven't done much," Loki whispered, standing up, "but I appreciate your thanks. And for you accepting me and giving me a chance."