3.04

In the morning, as the interns gathered around Bailey, she warned

In the morning, as the interns gathered around Bailey, she warned. "M&M in fifteen minutes, people."

"Wait, we get to go to M&M? Even if we haven't finished our rounds?" Alex asked, surprised.

"Even if. I want all of you at the M&M today." The resident explained as Helena smiled to herself.

As Alex let out a cheer, she looked at him disapprovingly. "People die in this hospital on our watch. Once a month, we meet to discuss how our actions as physicians contributed to the deaths. This is a serious exercise." The resident reprimanded. At that, dread filled Helena's stomach, though she couldn't quite figure what it was about.

"George, Alex, you guys get good seats, is three will get snacks." Cristina told the boys.

Just as Meredith and Cristina were leaving, Helena grabbed their arms, having figured out what she was anxious about. "Wait, wait, wait." As the both of them turned around to face the girl, she whispered, a knot in her throat. "We talk about patients who died on the M&M. Patients whose death could have been avoidable. Patients whose death was caused by us."

As Meredith seemed to realize what the brunette meant, Cristina looked confused. "So, Baby Einstein? We get to hear our bosses being kicked in the teeth instead of us!" She sounded excited.

"She means they might bring Denny up." Meredith sighed, Cristina's brows raising.

"No! They won't, will they? They won't."

"Ok, maybe you're right. They wouldn't...." Helena whispered, attempting to calm herself.

——

As Helena sat down at the M&M, Cristina tossed her a snack and she heard George complain about how Callie was still mad at him.

"Didn't you apologize?" She asked, opening a bottle of water.

"I did! I'm done... I am not apologizing anymore. I'm enjoying life, I'm loving the M&M." He sighed.

"Ok, people. Let's begin." The Chief called through his microphone. "Patient 34986 died last month from complications following a heart transplant. Dr. Burke will present."

Realization dawned upon the interns as the attending approached the podium.

"Hey, guys..." George started.

"Isn't patient number 34986...?" Alex completed.

"Denny." Meredith answered.

"Eight million dollars... eight million dollars could get us on a plane to somewhere far far away." Cristina let out, referring to the money Denny had left Izzie.

"Oh, why do I always have to be right." Helena sunk down on her seat.

"Cause of death at autopsy was an embolus that dislodged from the suture line of the transplant and cause a CVA with brain stem herniation." The attending continued and many hands shot up.