the celebration

"Spencer!"

"Spencer!"

You open Spencer's apartment door, your grin practically cracking your face. Spencer's standing by his bookshelves, and he turns his head, grinning when he looks at you. He raises his eyebrows, and you walk over to him, wrapping your arms around his waist. His maroon sweater is soft against your fingertips, and you look up at him, his hazel eyes meeting yours.

"You finished it, didn't you?" He whispers, wrapping his arms around you.

You nod, your smile growing wider. "I finished it!"

He leans in, pressing his lips against yours before pulling back. "I'm so proud of you! Finishing your dissertation is a feat, you know."

You laugh softly, running your hands up and down his lower back. "I can't believe I'm finally done." You gasp, searching his face. "Can we go out and celebrate?"

"Yes, my dear, we can go celebrate," he murmurs, pressing a kiss to your forehead.

Yes, finally, after what feels like a thousand years, you finally finished your thesis. You had emailed it to your advisor right before you left for Spencer's, and you feel like a thousand-pound weight has been lifted from your shoulders. Of course, you still have your final semester and your oral exams, and they have to review your dissertation. But still, finishing your dissertation is huge.

"Ooh, can we go to that fancy Italian place?"

Spencer nods, running his fingers through your hair. "Mhm." He plants a kiss on your cheek, and you smile.

"How are you feeling? Any pain?"

He shakes his head. "None. The doctor said I might be sore for a while, but I'm basically fully recovered."

"Yay," you murmur, grinning up at him. "We can go back to my place after dinner if you want."

"Sounds perfect, pretty girl. Congratulations, and again, I'm so proud of you."

He gently places his hand on the back of your neck, pulling you to him. The kiss is soft and gentle, his lips moving slowly against yours. You smile as you pull away, looking into his hazel eyes.

"When do you go back to work?"

He thinks for a moment. "Whenever the next case is. Emily wants to make sure I'm really okay before I come back. I have my psych eval in a few days."

"They make you do a psych eval?" You ask, moving your hands around to his chest, playing with the collar of his sweater.

"After going through traumatic incidents, yes. Getting shot qualifies as a traumatic incident." He rubs your back soothingly, his lips turned up into a small smile.

"Well, you'll pass, no doubt," you assure him, standing on your tiptoes to kiss his nose.

He giggles, the sweet sound ringing around in the empty room. "Do you want me to read to you? To pass the time?"