1

Sighing, Harry adjusts the sleeve of his shirt. His uncle had given him a lovely "parting gift" before allowing him to depart with the Weasleys and it had yet to heal completely. Of course, it didn't help that he wasn't resting the area. He didn't want anyone to know about the injury, after all. Mrs. Weasley seemed to b the only one who had noticed that something was amiss, she had been giving Harry concerned look all week, but luckily she hadn't said anything.

"Children, your letters are here!" Speak of the devil. Witch? Is there a wizard equivalent to that? A clap on the back from Ron snaps Harry back into reality.

Receiving his letter, Harry opens the envelope and promptly loses all hope. There, written in plain english and black ink, were words that Harry had hoped he would never have to hear. Due to being expelled over the summer, however temporary the expulsion, you will need to be re-sorted for your fifth year. We have notified Madam Malkins about your situation.

Faintly, he could hear Mrs. Weasley gushing over something that mildly offended the twins. or perhaps they were joking. Harry couldn't tell, he was too busy feeling like his head was being held under water by the universe. "Harry?" Hermione asks, the smile slipping off her face as she registers her friend's expression. "Are you alright?"

Everyone waits, but no response comes. It was as if Harry hadn't heard them at all. Fred and George saunter over to the scarred boy and the former plucks his letter from his grip. Harry starts and makes a feeble attempt at grabbing the paper but everyone knew that it was nearly impossible to get something back from the twins when they didn't want you to.

"RE-SORTED?!" the bellow, causing Harry to flinch back a bit. Luckily, everyone assumed it was the noise and payed his slight overreaction no attention.

"Er, yeah. I go expelled so," the ebony haired teen trails off with a shrug.

"But all charges were dropped! They can't re-sort you, that's b- crap!" Ron quickly redirects his sentence with a glance toward his mother.

Hermione begins muttering, her words too fast for any of them to decipher. Everyone leans away from her a bit as her words grown in both volume and speed. "-SOOFCOURSETHEYCANBUTTHEYSHOULDN'T!!!"

"What she said," Ginny adds, rubbing her ear as she was one of the unlucky ones who were standing right next the the genius witch. Luckily, Mrs. Black hadn't awoken from her outburst. Harry smiles weakly and grasps the edge of his letter, signaling to Fred that he would like it back. The red head hands it over without a fuss.

Ron caught the look in Harry's eyes and rushed to reassure his friend. "Don't worry, Harry! You'll be back in Gryffindor before anyone can blink!"

"Will he?" the twins chorus and Harry nearly gives himself whiplash as he snaps his head in their direction. George carries on, "We're not trying to say anything, Harry, but the hat took an awful long time with you."

"I know. I won't be coming back to Gryffindor," Harry replies, voice barely above a whisper. "The hat's been trying to put me in Slytherin for years."

Ron's voice instantly jumps eight decibels. "SLYTHERIN?!?!"

Harry flinches back, but everyone saw it this time. Hermione speaks up, "Not that there's anything wrong with that! It was just surprising is all! Right, Ronald?"

"Oh, yeah! Of course, mate. I just didn't expect it."

Harry nods. And Mrs. Weasley quickly bustles them off to Diagon Alley, wrapping a tight arm around Harry's shoulder when the others weren't looking.