Three

Growing up, I always accepted changes.  

I loved trying new things or going to new places.

But I would be lying if I said I didn't like Connecticut. I really want to hate it. I was used to the city with skyscrapers, taxis, and my old friends.

My Abuela reminded me to keep an open mind and heart and that's exactly what I did.

Hartford, Connecticut wasn't all that bad. The friends that I made were welcoming and great, being away from a busy city was nice, and I especially loved spending more time with my grandparents.

Before the incident, I usually only saw my Abuelo and Abuela on holidays and some birthdays.

I didn't realize how much joy that they added to my life.

Plus it was nice to learn more about my Venezuelan culture.

My Abuelo and I worked on perfecting my empanada filling and folding.

Back in New York, I didn't cook much but here I did a lot of it. Other than drawing and painting, it was one of my favorite pastimes.

I learned that my grandfather was also artistic so no wonder where I got that skill from. We painted a corner in my room with flowers and vines. It really added something special to the room that I liked.

"Looks great, nieta." he said as I finished the peacock.

"You think so?" I looked at him.

He nodded his head. "I know so. Your style reminds me of your mother."

That meant a lot to me.

"Thanks." I gave him a smile.

"Alright, go wash up. I think your Abuela is bringing Indian for dinner." he picked up the paints and walked out of my room.

I liked that Logan and I still had a connecting bathroom.

Well, I didn't know if it was traumatizing or nice but I appreciated that she was never too far away.

"I've been meaning to tell you something for like a couple of days now." I plopped down on my sister's bed as she did homework.

Her room had white walls with vines and led lights on the walls. It felt so comfy, trendy, and cute that I loved her room. It used to be the guest bedroom that had this atrocious matching paisley pattern from the lamps to the bedspread.

"What is it?" Logan looked up from her Spanish workbook.

"Do you remember Brennan from summer vacation? With the brunet hair, green and blue eyes, and he had all those siblings? He goes to Alderidge!" I exclaimed excitedly.

Logan's eyes got big. "I thought Maya in my grade looked familiar. I thought it was just a coincidence."

"He came by my work and he didn't even know everything that happened." I informed her.

She shrugged. "We used to be naive like that and not care about anyone else but ourselves so I guess I get it."

"He offered to help me figure out who did it. You know, since he's a DuPont and they have a lot of money and resources." I continued.

Logan froze. "Oh."

"Do you think it's a mistake?" I asked for my sister's advice.

She shook her head. "No. It just took me by surprise since we haven't seen him in two years so that's all. Whatever it takes, right?"

"Exactly." I stood up. "I'm going to go shower."

"Ryan, do you still like him?" Logan's voice went up two octaves.