𝐒𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐜𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠

Pairing: Ranboo + Reader
Warnings: None
Pronouns: They/them

----------

Ranboo heaved a heavy sigh as he sat below the shelter that held high above his head. The rain that fell across the wooden surface trickled down the curved patterns before falling onto the docks and into the river in front of him. The night sky was strewn with stars that were just barely visible over the rain clouds. He wasn't even sure why he was outside. He knew the rain hurt. It would hurt if he ever choose to edge a little closer forward and catch the little droplets of water that fell before him.

He donned a dark grey, almost black, suit with a small pin that showed the L'manburg flag on it to represent his country. His hair was ruffled, his tie was pulled out so he could breathe easier and the golden crown he was often seen to be wearing on his head was removed and gently placed on the dock beside where he sat.

Ranboo was in such an uncomfortable situation. On one hand, he wanted to show his loyalty to his country and stay by their side to take down Technoblade. After all, he was a war criminal. Though, he wasn't there when all of the bad things happened. And every other time that he had gone to see Technoblade, he wasn't nearly as bad as they described him to be. He was merely just a man trying to live his life out in the cold with his brother and father. He didn't really seem to see anything wrong with Techno, so it was difficult for him to understand why everybody disliked him so much. He just assumed that he would have to listen because he was so uneducated.

On the other hand, Tommy was so nice to Ranboo when he first came to L'manburg. And if Tommy ever needed Ranboo's help, it was his duty to stand by him through his situation and help him through thick and thin. And for the first few times, sure, it was out of debt. But the next few times he assisted Tommy with whatever he had gotten himself into, it was out of pure kindness because it felt like they were really friends.

But Tommy and L'manburg didn't exactly have a steady relationship. Ranboo wasn't expected to be seen anywhere near Tommy or Technoblade as it could be viewed as treason. And the truth was, he had no idea where his loyalty truly lied.

Ranboo nearly jumped out of his spot when he heard footsteps trailing along the balcony above his head. He quickly jerked his head up at the wood to see a dim shadow make its way across the floorboard and over the fence that boarded the sky and the line of houses. His eyes narrowed at the little gaps that stared into the atmosphere, watching as the shadow moved from spot to spot.

A figure leapt from the balcony attached to the houses and onto the docks that Ranboo was sat in front of. He seemed a little startled as he jumped slightly in his seat when he saw this person land on the shiny, purple boots that were worn on their feet. He clutched himself tightly and felt his body involuntarily back away to stare even more at that character that had landed before him.

Instead of looking over to the sea, the figure turned around to look over at Ranboo. His green and red eyes seemed like they were glowing in the iridescent moonlight, which seemed to intrigue them.

This person was dressed in a body of armour that emitted a purple-ish glow off of its black plates. Instead of wearing an equally strong helmet to match, this figure had a dark hood pulled over their head. Their shield was flipped around and their sword tucked away, though Ranboo still felt more intimidated the longer he sat where he was. Their eyes were narrowed to glare directly into his, their lip tilting slightly to display a small amount of displeasure or disgust.

"...Hi." He croaked, waving slightly.

The person pulled their hood down to let the rain fall onto their head, all that so they could catch a better glance of him. The water droplets travelled eagerly down their scalp from the roots of their hair onto their shoulders.

"Hello." They responded slowly. "I'm looking for somebody." They cleared their throat, rotating their shield around so that they could rest on the metal framing.

"Who are you looking for?" He questioned, but his answer was quickly given when their shield turned completely.

The image on their shield revealed a completely black background and a bright red X mark travelling across the wood. The X he saw was very recognisable. Usually, the cross would be lazily painted on. But this person's cross was neatly carved and inked into the shield with such precision. There was only one other place he recognised that flag from, and it was from all of those prints and shields that the members of the Dream SMP faction had.

"...N-Never mind... I think I know..." He stammered.

"You do?" (Y/n) arched their brow over at Ranboo, their interest piquing.

"Yeah... You're looking for TommyInnit." He said slowly and carefully to them, still keeping an eye on their shield.

"Was that a guess?"

"Not really. Almost every member of your country is on the hunt for him." Ranboo shrugged plainly. "I wouldn't be surprised if Dream set out a bounty for him."

"No," (Y/n) snorted. "No bounty. Just orders."

"Oh, so you're actually taking orders from Dream?" He questioned up at (Y/n), which was combatted with a derivative scoff.

"Is that not what you do? Except with the president?" They rolled their eyes at the hypocrisy, sticking their nose up a little.

"That's different." He bit back, quick to defend his friend.

"How?" They questioned with a stern look, their voice softening in a taunting manner. "Is Tubbo not as bad of a person as Dream is? I mean- I suppose you wouldn't have any idea since you haven't been here long enough to witness his past actions." Ranboo was silenced. "He wasn't even elected. He was put in charge by a man who was insane."

"...Okay, I get it... I suppose you're right." He slouched, grumbling.

"You know, I do have reason to believe that you know where he is." They took a few steps closer towards him, in a kind, yet assertive, manner.

"What makes you think that?" He asked back with clear coat of fear in his eyes.

"Just a hunch." They replied, detecting the emotion. "Are you going to tell me where he is?"

"...No." He scratched the back of his palm nervously.

"Really? Because from what I remember, you're faithful to L'manburg. And Tommy is exiled from this country, is he not? Surely, he must be an enemy." (Y/n) folded their arms over their chest and narrowed their eyes over at Ranboo.

"Well..." He glanced down, digging his fingertips into the inside of his palm. "To me, he was never an enemy... He's my friend."

"Oh." They murmured. "That's why you won't tell me."

Ranboo went quiet.

"See, the thing is, you've got to stay loyal to one country. If anybody, especially the president, gets wind of you communicating with Tommy, they're not going to be pleased."

"Well. Nobody's ever pleased with me anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter." He exhaled deeply.

(Y/n) gave shot him a pitiful stare after that response and pulled their shield up.

"Okay..." They sighed. "Instead of threatening your life and your home," they began and attached the straps of their shield back onto their arm, "I'm going to leave and pretend this interaction never happened."

"Don't you want to know where Tommy is?" Ranboo looked up at them with a confused look.

"I'll just find another way to find him."

"Why?" He got up from his spot, looking over at them with a puzzled expression.

They turned their shoulder to stare at him over it. "You clearly have a lot of stuff to deal with it. I don't have time for it."