50

I cannot believe that it is chapter 50 already

...

Harry

Amelia and I sit in our favorite café in Beachwood Canyon, perusing through the menu. It's been nice being in California for a couple of days. I know we have to leave to go back to New York soon so Amelia can start working from the office again, but I like this little vacation. It's a nice break from the hustle and bustle of tour, although I'll admit that I miss it. 

The transition from being on the road all the time to having absolutely nothing to do has been weird. It hasn't exactly been long but I feel empty. I know I shouldn't because I'm finally back with Amelia and now I have all the time in the world to do whatever I want, but I still feel like I'm lacking something. 

Part of me thinks it's because I'm homesick. I love my life with Amelia in New York, but in all honesty I miss England. I miss my family and friends there, who I haven't seen in way too long. I also just miss the scenery, my house there, and the air. Yes, even the air feels different across the pond and I fucking miss it. New York just isn't the same. 

"Harry?" A voice says. I blink a couple of times and look up, meeting Amelia's worried gaze. "Are you okay?" 

I nod and force a chuckle. 

"Yeah, I'm sorry. I just got lost in my thoughts," I vaguely reply. 

Amelia frowns, clearly picking up on the fact that I've been out of it recently. I just have a lot on my mind and I'm sure it's really obvious to her. She's always been decent at reading me. 

"Anything you want to talk about?" she sweetly asks, giving me a small smile that makes my heart melt to pure liquid. 

I alternate between twisting my rose ring and my promise ring on my fingers. I want to talk to her but I'm scared. I've been bottling a lot up over the past couple of days and I'm not sure how she'll react. 

"I'm just...homesick, you know? I haven't seen my mum and sister in a while and I'm just missing life in London I guess," I respond. 

Amelia's eyebrows furrow briefly as she processes my words. 

"Why don't you visit them?" she suggests. "You have some time off now, Harry,"

I shrug. 

"I might. It's just...I like spending time with you. I don't want to go without you," I admit in a small voice. 

"I'd love to go with you but you know I can't," Amelia says. Her eyes avert from mine, darting around the café. "My boss wouldn't let that happen right now, especially since I just took a couple weeks off to work remotely. Maybe once I'm settled in it'll be easier to get time off, or once I actually have an 'in' with writing novels,"

I sigh and run a hand through my unruly hair. I really need to get it cut. It's getting a bit long and disheveled looking. 

"I know, love. I just wish we could have it both ways - you could still work and accompany me, if you wanted to anyways...sorry, I'm jumping the gun," I ramble. 

Amelia smiles. 

"Don't be sorry. Of course I'd go with you. I like London, and your family, of course. I also haven't seen them in quite some time," she says. 

"They miss you," I say with a small smile. I clear my throat before continuing. "Can I ask you something?" Amelia nods. "Do you see yourself staying in New York forever?" 

She freezes, probably understanding where I'm going with this. I watch as the gears turn in her head but I can't seem to tell which direction they're going in.