||Chapter 34||

Tate

"What are the bags for?" She asks from the front seat as I load them into the trunk. I was hoping she wouldn't ask but I also didn't want to lie to her "That's not for you to worry about" I say laughing as I hop into the drivers seat "Fine" she says looking out the window.

It wasn't a big deal it was just football stuff. I knew how much River loved football and he'd hurt the one thing I actually liked about this town so to get back at him I'd take everything he loved one by one. When Elena told me Cole wouldn't be at Bio because he was at football try outs she inspired my plan. It was hard to admit but I wasn't only doing this to spite River I was doing this for myself. I was sick of putting myself second to make him feel better and to make up for his fucked up childhood it that my fault or moms it was time he grew up.

I look over at Elena who was just enjoying her music. I hope she didn't think anything that happened between me and River was her fault this war started long before she stumbled into our lives.

I pull up into the school parking lot almost an hour before school started which was good considering try outs would start in 30 mins. Everyone who went to trials had first period off which meant there was no point in hiding it from Elena seeing as..."Hey we have biology first" she says happy "Why that face?" She says reading my expression "What face?" I say playing dumb. She raises her brows at me "because I won't be in first period" I hesitate to tell her "What why not?" She asks confused "I'll be at-" she cuts me off "Football trials?" She says in way that was more confused than surprised. I nod my head "so that's what the bags are for I didn't even know you played football" she says in a way that made it more of a question than a statement "Well I guess I do a little" I say not wanting to oversell myself considering I've only been doing drills since I've moved here.

I haven't played with actual people since my old school "You're not doing this just cause of what happened with River right" she says narrowing her eyes slightly "Not entirely" I say clearing my throat "Well even if you were Good luck I'm gonna go meet up with the girls" she says smiling at me "I know you'll crush it" she winks at me before getting out of the car.

I get out at the same time as her prepared to walk her to class "What are you doing?" She asks as I walk behind her "Calm down in just walking you to class" I say locking the car "No I'll walk myself to class I'm a big girl you go get your things and get to the field I'm sure everyone's already warming up by now" she says in a demanding tone "Yes coach" I say sarcastically as I salute her with two fingers. She rolls her eyes and shakes her head "Fill me in at break" she says walking off.

I watch her walk into the building before returning to. sit back in the car contemplating wether I actually wanted to do this or not. It was like I was crossing some self marked line that I shouldn't have even drawn in the first place.

I continue to take deep breaths before finally working up the courage to get out of the car. I skip round to the back and start pulling out my bags when I hear footsteps behind me. I turn to see Elena walking back to the car "Oh lucky you're still here" she says out of breath "I forgot my bag and literally no ones here yet I'm pretty sure not even the janitors here" she says causing me to laugh.

I sling my bags over my shoulder and walk over to her side of the car and grab her bag for her. I hand it to her and she smiles as she slings it on "Thanks" she says looking up at me "Well considering I have about 20 minutes to spare i think I'll come watch the warm ups and plus I want to say hi to Cole and wish him good luck" she says looking at the time on her phone "You sure? You know Rivers going to be there..." I say hoping she knew where I was going with this "Yes yes I know and I also know youuuu" she says poking my arm "are a River repellent I know he won't come near me if I'm with you" she says being cheery as always.

She had a point I doubt he'd come around her if I were there especially knowing what he'd done and even if he does itd just give me an excuse to let him taste his own blood.

We walk with her tucked behind me. As we approach the field I look out at everyone who was there and it was the typical guys who hung out with River and Elenas friends Bf and a few new guys I'd never met before and of course Cole who was talking amongst a couple of the guys. He looks around and spots me probably not even noticing Elena. He nods in my direction before saying something to the guys around him. He then joggs towards me "Hey man" he says taking my hand in his and shoulder bumping me "Heyyy" he says more energetically as he sees Elena behind me "Hiii" she says smiling and hugging him.

I watched the way her and Cole interacted with eachother and it was nothing like the way she interacted with Bianca but it was also nothing like the way she interacted with me "What are you smiling at?" She asks noticing my stare "Nothing" I say shaking my head and smiling "Okay weirdo" she says shaking her head "And what's with that stare" she says to Cole who was smiling at her "Nothing" he says laughing "You two leave me alone and go warm up" she says shooing us away "No fair you didn't even wish me luck" Cole says pouting as she pushes us out onto the field "Goodluck" she says folding her arms and smiling. He narrows his eyes at her "Fine catch you later" he says giving her a quick hug before backing off "See you out on the field Tate" he hitting my back before turning back towards the other group of guys.

Cecelia

I roll my eyes and laugh as Cole runs off towards the other guys. I was glad Jamie talked him into it. I turn back to see Tate was still fixed in place "What" I say tilting my head "No good luck for me?" He says with squinted eyes and a smile "You don't need luck Mr.Kerrington" I reply trying to suppress the warmth that was rushing to my cheeks "you sure?" He says walking closer to me "Yesss now go" I say shooing him away "Okay" he says with a smile and a shrug of his shoulders.

I bite my lip as I watch him walk away. I scan the field to see literally no one was watching us. I don't know what came over me but..."Tate" I call out his name softly enough for him to hear but not draw too much attention. He turns to me confused. I gesture him over. He looks around before walking back over "Yes Ms.Melroe" he says stopping in front of me. I take a deep breath and kiss his cheek "You got this" I say looking up at his smiling face "Well now I do" he says visibly more cheery.

Instead of walking he jogs back over to the group of guys that were separated from River and his entourage. I watch as he talks to the guys before quickly ducking back to the school building as the coach makes his way out onto the field.