Chapter 6

A blasting horn awakes me and the rest if my cabin. Alex once again begins pestering me. I knock him up against the bed frame and he throws another punch that was too easy to dodge. Then, Kai gets between us. "Children, calm down."
"What? I'm no child." Yells Alex. He gets up in Kai's face just as Kai shoves him away. Alex, clearly livid, shoves Kai back and yells something about rich people are better and so on.
"Calm down Alex," says Kai.
"Why? Are you going to make me?" Alex throws a fist in Kai's direction when Kai sidesteps it and twists Alex's arm behind his back and pins him against the wall. "Yes, I am going to make you." We leave the cabin in search of the kitchen. We get in line behind the rest of the recruits. We eventually get to where the food is and a generous amount if grits is plopped upon my tray, and then Kai's, continuing on down. We move farther down and two pieces of bacon are put on my plate. Then, a fried egg is placed on my tray.
"What is this mess? I refuse to eat pig food! I demand a carus bagel! Rich people should not be forced to eat like dirty beggars," Alex shouts as he turns his nose up at the food.
"Sorry cupcake. Grits it is," says Kai. Trying not to burst into laughter, I put my fist in my mouth.
"Hey country boy! If you like slop so much, have some more!" he shouts as he flicks a spoon of grits into Kai's face. Without warning, Kai knocks Alex off his feet and slams Alex's tray over his head leaving a sizable dent in the tray.
"This country boy will kick your city butt if you keep it up!" shouts Kai while holding a fist over him. "Get up!" he says as he walks off.
"Nice, you know what, I like you," I say to Kai under my breath.
"Yea. I think we'll be great friends," says Kai.