Wattpad Original

Original Edition: 27. The Celebration

27

The game is over, and I haven't yet assimilated the fact that Ares Hidalgo dedicated a goal to me. I've thought a thousand possible reasons in the last ten minutes, from he did it as a joke to maybe he has a secret girlfriend who he calls a witch that isn't me. But he looked at me and smiled at me.

I am overthinking.

I can't let him affect me. I can't let his gesture break my commitment to stay away from him. Yes, he dedicated a goal to me and the fact that is the nicest thing he has done for me beside coming to rescue when I was robbed is sad. That should not be enough, not after all the hurt he has caused me.

A part of me —most of me— wants to run into his arms but my rational part, the part that has regained its dignity does not approve of it and I decide to listen to it. Although I think my firmness comes from a new place in me: Fear. I'm afraid that he will hurt me again, afraid of letting him in and getting hurt one more time. I can't take it, so I'm not taking any chances.

"Wow, that was really exciting," Dani adds, pressing her elbow to my ribs playfully as we walk down the bleachers.

"Yes," Apollo thinks innocently, "I loved the game, 3 to 0, that goalkeeper deserved it after what he did to my brother."

"We have to celebrate" Carlos takes my hand but Dani as an expert ninja slaps him, forcing him to let go of me, "Woah!"

I just laugh and look for Yoshi's gaze who looks a bit serious. That's weird.

"Guys, we should go congratulate the players." Apollo's idea doesn't sound very good at the moment. I don't want to face Ares. It's one thing to be strong to stay away and quite another to have him in front of me and walk away.

Dani notices my discomfort, "Nah, we better go to the celebration party."

"Celebration party?" I ask, confused.

Carlos pats me on the back, "Are you not up to date with social events, princess?" The party that the team celebrates when it wins.

Sure, how to forget the infamous Panthers parties? I've only been there once, and it was because Daniel invited us. On the field, we are one but outside of it, we continue to be from different schools, and the truth is we don't like each other much.

We are passing by the side of the field as we walk to the parking lot, I can't help but glance at where the group of players are, talking. Ares is there, completely drenched in sweat, her hair sticking to the sides of his face like his uniform to his body, how can sweat look sexy to me? I need professional help.

His gaze meets mine and I freeze, stop walking. He gives me a mischievous smile and grabs the hem of his shirt and pulls it over his head. Many players are shirtless, so no one sees it as something strange, my eyes go down his chest and defined abdomen, the word witch has already blurred with the sweat. I bite my lip.

Don't fall, Rachel.

I hate my hormones.

Shaking my head, I look away and continue on my way. I only managed to take a few steps when I crashed into Yoshi, "Woah!"

Yoshi just takes my hand, "Let's get out of here."

Yoshi drags me to the parking lot, where everyone is already in Dani's car, waiting for me. Apollo has taken my place in the passenger seat so I'm stuck in the back in the middle of Yoshi and Carlos.

I clear my throat, "How come we go to the celebration party and the players haven't even left the court?" Yoshi glares at me, "What?"

Dani glances at me in the rearview mirror, "Relax, it seems like the first time you're going to a celebration after the game."