Chapter 1: An arm for a Leg

I grabbed my books and closed my locker door and locked it back up as I walked the class I hear the following as voices that passed by. "I hear he won't make it", " His karate teacher should be in jail", "It was all Sams fault, she cheated on Miguel".
I rolled my eyes as more and more whispers and rumors floated in the air like the smell from the boys locker room. I put in my headphones and headed to my economics class, it was my period right before lunch and then I could leave.
I got to leave school early because I had work, my school had a type a program where I only had morning classes.
I walked into the class and took my normal seat in the back and took out my notebook. I couldn't tell I had completely forgotten I was in class and was just focused on my music, well I did until someone had pulled the device out of my ear which triggered my music to stop.
"Hey what's the-, oh hey Demetri " I said taking the other out and putting them both in there case.
"You seem really disconnected, what's up" he asked leaning on the table. "I worked a double yesterday and didn't get home till two" I said resting my head on my hand. "Damn I'm sorry, hey if you need me to help you with work I'm up for it" he said taking the seat next to me.
"I could never ask of you for that Demetri, beside you have Karate" I said getting things set up for notes.
"Eh not really, after the whole school fight the dojo is like on a pause" he said getting his stuff. "Oh I'm sorry to hear that, I know you where getting good" I say as the teacher closed the class door.
"Eh I mean after everything, it might be for the best" Demetri said and finished right before the teacher started talking.
"Ok class today we are talking about the concept of budgeting, now can anyone give me examples of what you want to budget for?"
The class went on as normal no interruptions or anything so you could understand my confusion when the teacher called out, "Y/n and Eli please come up to my desk" he mumbled but not too low where we couldn't hear.
I looked at him with a raised eyebrow and glanced at Demetri he struggled his shoulders and said , " I'll save you a spot at my crowed table" and he headed out.
The only thing I can think about was if it was about me having headphones in the beginning of class. The only connection I had with Eli now better known as his jackass name Hawk was he used to be Demetri's best friend and now I am since he was basically on his loansome.
"Yes Mr. Frits?" I asked walking up crossing my arms nervous as Eli stood beside me not saying a word and having his hands in his pockets.
   "Listen I see that you are both good kids , or atleast one of you still are, but one thing for each of you could really hold you back" the teacher said typing on his computer. I clenched my jaw and swallowed, I glanced in Eli's direction and glanced back to the floor waiting for him to speak first.
  "Sir what exactly could that be this is-" he was cut off by the teacher twisting his screen to face us and pointing to a grade.
    " it's your second time taking this class I know, and if you don't pass it this year then you'll be held back and have to repeat the year again, and no we don't offer summer school for this class" he seemed upset but took a deep breath, I looked over thinking Eli was about to roundhouse this grown ass man but I look to see a boy who generally looked concerned, well that was until he made eye contact with me and went hard mode again.
    "So what I took the class once I'll take it this time and pass" he crossed his arms cocky like . " you don't understand your score last year somehow was a zero while your test at the beginning was a 78%, you should have passed but somehow went backwards." He said staring at the boy.
   I decided to let him have a break and spoke up, " Mr.Frits as much as it sucks that wanna be punk bed wetter over here might fail, what does this have to do with me?" I say un crossing my arms. " I'd watch your mouth if I where you" Eli turned to me and snarled like.
    "What you gonna do piss on my pillow-" I say facing him. " Enough, anyways y/n as being the counselor for you grade, I see you too are missing a graduation requirement, volunteer hours to be exact." He crossed his hands.
    "Things don't look all sunshine for princess do they" he chuckled. "Stay out of this punk piss, Mr. Frits I explained to the school I have to work I don't have time to walk dogs, or feed old people soup on Thursday evenings while they watch Family Fued" I say pleading like .
   "Y/n, many students work and do school and volunteer and -" I stoped him, " but are they me Mr.Frits, so they live how I do?" I asked raising my voice.
   "Listen this is why I called you both up here, Y/n has shown nearly a 95% on the practice test alone so I'm assigning her as your official tutor" he said with no expression.
    "Frits man, you really want me being seen with her, a girl who dose nothing but read?".
     "Oh don't flatter yourself Hawky, not like I wanna be seen with a roaster haircut wanna be" I mumbled looking at him.
       "You both will get something out of it Eli will get the resources he needs to pass, and you will get your volunteer hours if he passes, it's a trade really" he seemed proud of himself, but all I could think is I wish Eli would hop over his desk, but instead we said nothing . "It's that or you both don't graduate" we looked at each other huffed and mumbled fine. "Great every Monday Wednesday and Friday 2:20-4:20" he smiled pleased.
   "Can i atleast get a note for work" I crossed my arms. "Of course at the front desk" he said , and then we both left no one was in the hallway, everyone was at lunch or went off campus. It was silent all you could hear was the squeaking of our shoes. "Hawky huh, is that my new Nick name ?"he asked kinda flirtatious like . "Listen I don't want this anymore then you do I'm getting my note and I'm heading to work " I turned and walked away to the front.
   As I walked away my phone buzzed in my pocket, it was a text from Demetri.

                                 Demetri🤖

D- So what was that all about

                   Come to the dinner after school you  

                                                 won't believe it -y/n