funfetti cake mix with whipped cream and sprinkles

four weeks later...

knock knock

eden knocked on her boss's office before entering. "you wanted to see me?"

pheobe, her boss nodded without looking up from her desk. "we need you to make some birthday waffles. some guy just called and asked for them to be delivered to the cemetery on zion hill. since you're new here, you'll be the new delivery girl."

confused, eden asked, "how am i supposed to deliver waffles to a cemetery? how will i know who ordered them?"

phoebe shrugged. "whoever looks the hungriest?" she chuckled to herself. at this, eden left her office.

arriving at the cemetery with a box of waffles in hand, eden began to wander around in search of the caller. it didn't take her long before she found him.

eden sat down cross-legged next to him. they sat together in silence for a while, before she asked, "is it your birthday, angie?"

he shook his head, and pointed to the grave. eden read aloud what was engraved on it. "in loving memory of ronald lee baker, our son and friend. i look at life as a gift from god. now that he wants it back, i have no right to complain."

"his mom added that last part," angelo said. he wiped his eyes. "today's his birthday. he'd be seventeen now." he shook his head at the ground. "what have i done?"

"angie, it's not your fault. stop beating yourself up. mick wouldn't have wanted that."

"you never knew mick!" angelo yelled. "go ahead and comfort me all you fucking want to, but don't ever say you know what he would've wanted."

startled by this explosion, eden stayed quiet before responding, "you're right; i never knew mick. but i know that no one would want their friend to suffer over them."

at tear fell down angelo's face. he laughed at himself as he wiped it off. "i'm acting like such a girl right now. i'm a crying mess." eden laughed in response.

angelo took the box of waffles and opened it up. "you want some? i kind of owe you for all the waffles i've stolen from you." eden grinned as she nodded.

he took out the two plastic forks, but hesitated before giving her one. "do you think it's disrespectful to eat cake on someone's grave? especially really good cake waffles?"

eden smiled. "i don't know about mick, but it'd be fucking amazing if people ate really good cake waffles on my grave." at that, angelo handed her a fork and they both took pieces.

"to mick. and to us." they touched forks and ate.

• • • • •

there's the final chapter!

i've posted a new story, so please read and tell me what you think.

thank you all so much for reading and supporting it; it means the world to me :)

☯don't forget to follow, vote and comment☯