30 | a much needed phone call

┏━━━━━━━━┓

Pick up the phone

┗━━━━━━━━┛

Talia, Elijah and Galen were twenty minutes into their walk when Elijah's satellite phone rang

"Hello?" Elijah answered.

"You finally answered the phone. Kol is going crazy. What the hell happened? Where is Talia?" Rebekah's voice came through the tiny speaker.

"Talia is right here. She is fine. We had a little," Elijah paused for a moment. "Mishap."

Talia scoffed. "Mishap. Nice way of saying that a witch killed me." She mumbled.

Elijah shot her a look. Talia mimed zipping her lips.

"What witch? Look, just let Talia talk to Kol, please. Just to say she is alive. Kol! No!" Rebekah yelled.

There were sounds of a scuffle over the phone. "Talia?" Kol's voice came over the line.

Elijah wordlessly handed over the phone. Talia bit her lip and took the device from Elijah. "Hey Kol."

"Talia." Kol breathed. "Whatever happened doesn't happen again are we clear?"

"I'm sorry." Talia pressed the phone to her forehead. Tears were leaking down her cheeks. "Look, we need to talk when I get back." Talia said as calmly as she could. "There are things you need to know before we can jump right into a relationship."

Kol inhaled sharply. "You aren't going to ignore me anymore? What happened?"

Talia gave a watery laugh. "Let's just say, you owe Elijah a little."

Elijah smirked. His little brother does owe him. Elijah tuned out the rest of their conversation. All he cared to catch were little snippets.

"Kol, I am fine. I will be back in three days . . . yes, I swear I will talk to you . . . I am sorry about that . . . argh! You are infuriating! . . . I will see you when I get back. See you soon. Bye." Talia hung up the phone. Talia held it out to Elijah.

Elijah took the phone and pocketed it.

"Let's keep going." Galen looked at the sky. "We have about four more hours of sunlight left. We can hike for two more hours then camp for the night. Do try to keep up little hybrid." Galen smirked at Talia.

Talia smiled at him. "I'll try Galen."

Galen and Elijah started walking. Talia hitched her pack higher on her shoulders and glanced over her shoulder one last time. "Rest in peace Silas." She whispered. Talia turned around and hiked after Galen and Elijah.
---------------------------

Four days of weary travel later, Talia and Elijah were pulling up in front of the house.

As soon as the car was in park, Talia's door was yanked open. Talia jumped out of the car. Kol and Talia met in a bone crushing hug in the middle of the walkway.

"I am sorry." Talia cried. "I am so sorry."

"It's okay." Kol satisfied himself by running his hands over her back and head. "You're fine. You're okay. You're alive."

Elijah leaned against the car and was joined by Niklaus and Rebekah.

"Was it as bad for you as it was for us?" Niklaus asked.

Elijah nodded. "Yes it was. They did dream share once."

"What? I thought that was a myth?" Rebekah questioned.

"Oh, it is true. Talia woke me up at three in the morning our second night into hiking. Poor girl was shaking with fear. I never knew the full dream. She told me a little." Elijah rubbed his forehead. "If you will excuse me, I need to get some sleep. It has been a while since I had to sleep outside." Elijah walked over to Talia who was still in Kol's arms. "Talia? I am going to shower and get some sleep in an actual bed. Will you be okay for a few hours?"

Kol growled at him.

Talia twisted herself out of Kol's embrace. "I'll be fine, 'Lijah. Get some good sleep." Talia leaned up and, shocking all of Elijah's siblings, kissed his cheek.

Kol tugged Talia back into him.

"Just what happened on that island?" Rebekah asked absently.

"A lot." Talia shrugged. "Elijah and I talked and we came to an understanding. He will protect me and I will protect his family."

"You do know Elijah never lets anyone protect us unless they are close to him." Niklaus pointed out.

Talia sighed tiredly. "Like I said, a lot happened. I stink. I need a shower, some sleep, and then we can talk." Talia leaned up and kissed Kol's cheek. "We will talk later. I promise, I am not ignoring you. I am just exhausted."

Kol was shocked. That was the first time since she had been here that she initiated contact between them.

Talia looked at Rebekah and Niklaus. "We will talk in about four or five hours." Talia grabbed her backpack and walked into the house.