81. He Did It For You

_______________________

.

.

.

Coming back to the hospital felt surreal. And it made River happy beyond expression. She had a night shift at the ER and she was the queen she was. There were a quite a few cases due to an accident at the construction site. And such cases required an orthopedic surgeon more than anyone else.

"Dr. River Johnson back in action, I see.!" Dr. Jamie Dewell who had false claimed her psychologically unfit was on call as well, and he was glad to see his friend back at work.

"And kicking all of your asses as well." River shrugged, taking off her blood covered gloves and dumping them in the bin before opening the tap to wash her hands with soap.

He nodded and then said. "You owe me a date." He was not going to forget his end of the deal that soon.

River raised a brow. She remembered him putting forward this condition playfully when he agreed to help her out, but River now had a new card up her sleeve.

"Did I tell you that I managed to get married in the few months I was away?" She gave him a sly smile. The Jamie Dewell she knew since medical school was a flirt, but he steered cleared of committed women, and what was more sacred that a bond like marriage?

"WHAT?" To say that he was shocked, would be the understatement of the century.

"To who?" He asked, clearly confused. He didn't know of anyone she was romantically involved with before she left and he had seen Mateo around her for only a day or two so he didn't think of him as a possible candidate.

"The father of her twins." Jacqueline joined them, a smile on her face. "They reunited and now they are a happy family of four."

Jamie looked at River in awe. He was truly happy for his friend though he was disappointed that he had missed out on such an incredible and amazing woman, but he was glad that the twins got both their parents and that River's family was now complete, though he never thought it was incomplete before - River was enough to fill in for both the mother and father's role.

River grinned at her best friend whom she had seen for the first time since the shift started.

"I would hug you but I haven't bathed in two days." Jacqueline grinned back at her best friend. She was so so so happy to see her best friend that she almost resembled a Chesire cat with the wide grin she had in place.

Jamie left the two best friends alone.

"You have any ongoing cases?" Jacqueline asked.

"Nope, I was about to go get some coffee." River smiled. "Tell me we still have the same caterers and their yummy croissants."

"We do." Jacqueline shook her head laughing. She was indeed very happy to have her best friend back.

The two best friends linked their arms together as they marched their way to the hospital cafeteria, home to the most delicious baked goods they knew.

"When is Mr. Adesso coming back?" Jacqueline asked. The last time she talked to River was at noon when she had come to finish off the paperwork and she seemed pretty pissed at the Italian God who was still at Wyoming.

"Oh he's back." River informed, rolling her eyes.

"Really?" Jacqueline was surprised. "But didn't you say he would only be back next week?"

"Well, he pissed me off in the morning and flew back to pacify me." River shrugged as she stood in front of the counter. "Two caramel macchiato, one with two pumps of cream and another with just chocolate sprinkles."