Chapter 52

**A/N December 21, 2020 (yikes!) I'm officially off for the holidays in the first vacation I've had since Covid hit! So to celebrate, I finally busted through my writers' block and forced myself to sit down and write. That said, I figured you would all prefer more updates instead of me summarizing what had happened in past chapters. So, without further ado, welcome back to the Thomas and Nisha troublemaking...**

The next afternoon, Nisha and I were poring over a map of Ardalone and Vareinne that Giles had procured for me when Libby's knock finally came.

"I hope you have tea because I'm absolutely..." she trailed off. Her eyes grew wide as saucers when they landed on Nisha, running from the top of her head, past her baldric of knives, to her soundless leather boots. Nisha's eyes narrowed, flicking over Libby with a quick, professional assessment.

"Libby, this is Nisha," I said, "Nisha, this is my brother's betrothed, Libby. The tree-climbing, future queen of Pretania."

"She doesn't look like much of a tree-climber," Nisha replied. And she was right. Now that Mother had gotten her hands on Libby, even the way she walked had changed to better suit the dresses she now wore. If I didn't know any better, I'd have assumed she was a dainty, delicate courtier just like all the rest.

"She has knives," Libby said, a little breathlessly before she turned to me. "Is she Bazeran? Does she speak Pretanian? Can she teach me—"

"If you help us, I'm sure I can convince her to teach you a few things," I said, "Though I doubt Andy dearest would approve."

Libby fixed me with a look. "You can't just bring a Bazeran warrior woman to the palace and not expect me to demand to learn from her."

"I can be teaching you," Nisha said, surprising us both.

Libby's mouth popped open into a gleeful grin.

I folded my arms. "You said your Pretanian was rusty."

Nisha shrugged. "I have understanding. The speaking is difficulty."

Libby clapped her hands, bouncing on her toes. "Can we start now? Is that why you summoned me?"

"Not exactly," I said, "I summoned you because we need your help."

From the glow that had kindled in her eyes the moment Nisha had agreed to teach her, I knew that I didn't have to worry about Libby not helping us. I outlined the plan Nisha and I had come up with after a sleepless night of plotting.

Originally, we'd thought to stun the whole family by arriving to breakfast with Nisha on my arm. But the more we discussed it, the more I realized that there was only danger in antagonizing Adelaide that way. Especially when Beatriz' life hung in the balance. And especially when Dulciana would instantly suspect Frederico if a Bazeran suddenly showed up on my arm, living in the royal apartments. Instead, we'd decided that it was better for Adelaide to think I'd taken a liking to a stranger than for her to think that Nisha and I already knew one another.

"We'll have to pretend to be lovers when we're in public," I'd warned her.

She'd merely lifted an unimpressed eyebrow. "Clearly Beatriz didn't tell you enough about me. Especially if you think this is my first time convincing a royal court that I'm someone's lover."

That had stifled most of my qualms.

As for the rest, Nisha had assured me that Beatriz would understand. "If this helps free her and win Frederico his throne, she won't give a rat's ass whether your court thinks she's your first betrothed or your seventh."