49

~ phoenix ~

My skull was doused in flames.

Gritting my teeth against the agony, I tried to raise a hand to feel the throbbing area, only to find I couldn't. Something, a rope, tied my wrists together behind my back, scratching the skin with its rough material.

I swayed side to side involuntarily. Were we in a vehicle? My body jumped when it moved over a bump. When I fell back to the ground, pain shot through my spine.

A cry left my lips before I could stop it.

"Phoenix?"

My eyes snapped open but there was nothing to see. A dark bag was put over my head.

With fury, I began to put the blurry pieces together. Milena.

"Phoenix, are you awake?" the recognisable voice persisted, laced with pain.

"Tabby!" I cried with relief and guilt and anger and sorrow.

"Hey," she whispered, hoarsely.

A sob rose in my throat. "I-I'm sorry! I didn't mean to-"

"What are you talking about? You saved my life, Phoenix, and Gianna's."

I shook my head fervently. "No, I put you both in danger. I hurt you Tabitha, almost killed you."

"I can't see anything right now, but if I could, I would hit you Phoenix," a third voice suddenly said.

"Gianna?"

"Yes, it's me in the flesh. If I had a free hand, I'd give you an autograph," she muttered, sarcastically.

"Shut up, G," Tabitha scolded, trying to sound strong.

She wasn't fooling anybody. She was seriously injured and those heartless bastards shoved her in the back of a van.

A moment of silence passed. I hung my head in shame. This was all my fault.

"What- how did you guys get here?" I asked eventually in a small voice.

Gianna retorted, "Ask your hubby."

My heart raced as I thought about Ilya. There was still a tinge of soreness between my legs. I snapped them shut with shame. He couldn't have.... could he?

"H-he did this to you?" I pressed but deep down, I already knew the answer.

This time Tabitha answered. "I think he wants to trade us, Phee," she answered, softly.

"I heard that Russian dickwad mentioning something about Giovanni," Gianna added, snarkily, "I was surprised my asshole of a step-brother is even alive, let alone that he gave two shits about us."

The contempt in her voice was almost palpable. She hated being the damsel in distress.

I mulled over their words and it clicked. All this time - when he was fucking me, lying to my face - Ilya was using my friends as bait.

Immediately, a dark, consuming rage began to boil in my blood. That fucking son of a bitch.

"I'll kill him," I seethed, clenching my fists.

Gianna snorted. "If we survive."

"We will," Tabby insisted, "and-"

The van swerved in a direction that I couldn't identify.

Tabby didn't finish her sentence. Instead, her words were replaced by a short shriek of pain.

"Tabitha!" Gia cried.

I growled, trying to shuffle towards her voice. Why was I so fucking useless?

"I-I'm fine," Tabitha attempted reassure in a weak voice.

"Bullshit," I snarled. "Gianna shuffle towards us. I'll try and untie you."

She never replied but I heard movement.

Taking a deep breath, I rolled forwards. Panic creeped in when the vehicle lurched. But fortunately, my manoeuvre worked and when I landed on my ass again, the bag had fallen off my head.

"I'm here," Gianna said.

Listening for the direction of her voice, I shifted towards it.

"Face your back to me," I instructed, "I'm going to try to get your hands first."

Please let this work, I begged to some unknown force. Please.

Leaning forwards, I used my mouth to locate the knot. My stomach rolled when I tasted copper on the material.

"Gianna, are you bleeding?" I demanded, anxiously.

"It's nothing," she muttered, "I was just trying to get rid of the ropes."

With renewed vigour, I clamped my teeth down on one side of the rope and tugged.

"I think it's working, Phee!" she exclaimed, hopefully.

Relieved, I continued to bite and pull the rope. Soon, my teeth and jaw began to ache. Come on.

Finally, it came away in my mouth. I spat onto the ground, trying to get rid of the strange texture on my tongue.

Gianna did not waste words by celebrating. Moments later, her fingers were at my back, freeing my sore wrists.

A little breathlessly, I leaned forwards to undo my legs whilst she helped Tabby.

There was barely any light in the back of the van. The only slivers coming from the front would flicker away occasionally, leaving us in darkness. Squinting my eyes, I located my friends.

"Should we jump?" Tabby asked, glancing towards the shiny double doors.

I doubted we could get them open and besides, she was not in any condition to brace the impact. "No," I sighed, "we have to wait."

A string of Italian curses left Gia's mouth.

I winced, hoping the frustration wasn't directed towards me. But if it was, I wouldn't be surprised. In fact, I deserved it.

"Phoenix?"

"Yes, Gianna?"

Silence.

"I missed you."

𝑥𝑜
𝖗𝖔𝖘𝖆𝖛𝖎