45 | the worse in me

┏━━━━━━━━┓

Here come the
tears I'm gonna cry

┗━━━━━━━━┛

Talia giggled as Elijah came downstairs to reprimand Kol

Talia giggled as Elijah came downstairs to reprimand Kol. "Wow Elijah, I have never seen you raise your voice, ever."

Elijah gave her the stink eye. "My siblings sometimes bring out the worst in me."

"Don't look at me. I don't control him. He is his own person." Talia firmly said to Elijah's unspoken accusation.

Kol kissed the side of Talia's head. "Yes. I am my own person who decided to make Nik angry this morning."

Niklaus glared at him. Kol gave a wave with his fingers at him.

"Everyone sit down, now!" Jordan said loudly.

Elijah smiled gratefully at her. Jordan completely missed it.

Kol and Talia sat next to each other. Matty sat in between Nik and Rebekah. Jordan sat next to Talia and Elijah sat at the head of the table.

"I have finalized the plans to move to New Orleans. Do you know how to protect the witches?" Elijah started the meeting. He looked over at Talia for an answer.

Talia got serious. "I will know more when we get there, but the only thing I really know to do is we have to complete the Harvest ritual. I know where Marcel is keeping the girl. We can easily sneak in and grab her. We can then deliver her to the witches, who can complete the ritual. That has to be our first priority. Davina can sense when another witch uses magic. She reports to Marcel and he then kills the witch." Talia rubbed her hand soothingly on Kol's clenched fist. "Kol and I can protect the witches finishing the Harvest. But, we can't get the girl. Davina would sense me. Someone also needs to distract Marcel so we can get her. He checks in on her quite often."

"How about teams?" Rebekah suggests. "Elijah and Jordan can grab the girl. I can distract Marcel. You and Kol can gather the witches. Nik and Matty can-"

"Help you distract Marcel." Niklaus finished. Nik leveled a look at her. "No way on Earth am I letting you go in there without backup."

Matty snorted. "Thanks a lot. You invite me into enemy territory, when I am just a tad bit stronger than a human. I only am dangerous once a month, you know."

"No you aren't." Talia spoke. "You can change at will. You are not a hybrid but you can still shift at will. Your bite will always be dangerous to a vampire, no matter the time of the moon cycle. Also, you won't be stuck at fifteen forever. They are going to let you age until you reach twenty three. Then you will stop aging and become an immortal. Right now, you are about as mortal as a normal werewolf. A snapped neck or your heart ripped out can kill you.

Jordan? You are similar to an Original but not quite. The sun will burn you, but vervain won't. It will be more like a slight burn. Easily manageable. The only wood that can kill you is a tree that is endangered. It is the Virgina round birch tree that can kill you. There is only a little patch of them in Virginia. I wouldn't go setting fire to the forest just yet. Someday, you just might want to die. Jordan will forever be twenty three. Jordan will still live if her heart gets ripped out. She will be incapacitated for a while when she grows a new one.

Matty will be similar when she is immortal. The only thing that could kill her is if she ingests wolfsbane. She can touch it and be near it, like Jordan small burns, but if a single drop gets into her system it's lights out."

Matty snickered.

Everyone else stared at her.

Talia rolled her eyes. "It's that band I was telling you about Elijah. One of their songs is called Lights Out."

Elijah nodded his head. "Okay. Continue."

Matty's jaw dropped. "You told him about HU!?" She demanded.

Talia shrugged. "He asked. I answered."

"But- Wait! What year is it?" Matty asked panicked.

Talia looked at her sympathetically. "It's only 2012. They only have one album out that we like. We have to wait for the next albums."

"Which album?" Matty questioned.

"American Tragedy." Talia spoke. "The next one to come out will be Notes from the Underground in 2013. The one after that will be Day of the Dead in 2015."

Matty looked down.

"Yeah, that was my reaction too. My workout music is gone." Talia shifted in her chair. "Now that that is done, let's get back to it."

"What is HU?" Rebekah asked.

Talia blushed. "Nothing."

Jordan rolled her eyes. "Hollywood Undead. They are a rock/rap group that is very crass and crude. It's a very adult group. I don't know why Talia let's Matty listen to it."

Talia's eyes flamed. "I didn't let her listen to it in the first place. She was at school and one of her friends introduced her to them. I couldn't be there to stop it. I knew that if I banned it from my home that she will just go listen to it somewhere else. What could I do?"

"Uh, ground her?" Jordan snarked.

"I am not her mother! I am her older sister." Talia yelled.

Matty looked down and started crying. "Is that how you really feel?" She whispered.

Talia jerked her head to Matty. "What?"

"I said, is that how you really feel? All I can remember is you. It was you who tucked me in at night when I was a kid. It was you who took care of me when I was sick. It was you who,as soon as you turned eighteen, became my guardian. It was you instead of going to your senior prom, spent the night taking care of me because I was sick and had the flu. Our mother didn't care!" Matty's voice rose with every sentence. "You know, when I was really little, I thought you were my mom instead of HER. So, I am asking you Talia, is that what you really think? That you aren't my mom but my older sibling. What older sibling that you know, would skip out on Prom to take care of their little sister? What older sibling would spend hours with them at the hospital for a surgery when their actual mother wouldn't care enough to get them to the hospital on time for a ruptured appendix. You spent hours there with me Talia! Hours! When you knew you had a major test at school!" Matty slammed her hands down on the table. "If that is you being an older sibling than I don't know what being a mom is."

Talia had tears streaming from her eyes. "Matty?" She whispered brokenly.

"Don't Talia. Just don't." Matty stormed from the room.

"Wait!" Talia called after her.

"Just leave her be for right now. I think you have done enough, Talia." Niklaus stood up. He was furious. He leaned across the table towards her. "If you ever make her cry like that again, I will rip your throat out."

Talia felt Kol tense in response to the threat. Talia laid a hand on his thigh. "If I ever do, you have my permission."

Kol growled softly.

Talia's eyes fell to where Matty left the room. "Go after. Please?"

Nik sat back in shock. Talia just kept surprising him.

Talia's green eyes watered. "Don't let her be alone right now."

Niklaus gave her a short nod and left the room.

Kol pulled Talia into his arms. "It'll be okay." He murmured and kissed her head.

Jordan looked around at the other siblings. "You all aren't even surprised." Jordan marvelled.

"Our family meetings generally end up with someone being daggered. This one turned out better than most." Rebekah told her.

Jordan widened her eyes. "Okay then."

Rebekah smirked evilly. "Welcome to the family Jordan."