51 | once my kin

┏━━━━━━━━┓

Running in
my bloodstream,
my bloodstream

┗━━━━━━━━┛

Talia  and Kol got situated in their room

Talia and Kol got situated in their room. They unpacked and set up their bed. When they were done, Talia lit a piece of sage.

"Kol? Can I ask you something?" Talia asked at Kol's questioning look.

"Yes." Kol answered.

"Are you really okay?" Talia whispered.

Kol sat down on the bed and sighed. "Honestly Talia? No. It infuriates me down to who I am that this is happening. These people were once my kin. They were once who I was. Can I ask you something?"

"Sure." Talia sat down next to Kol.

"Why don't you like your parents?"

Talia scrubbed her hand down her face. "My mother was once a great woman. We were a loving family. My dad was the best person in the world. Then Matty came along and we were perfect. The complete family. That all changed the night my dad was killed. Matty was only three years old. I was eight. All I remember was being asleep. My father had tucked me in. Told me he loved me and he would see me in the morning. That was the last I saw of him." Talia wiped a tear from her eye. "I woke to screaming. Mom was crying and shouting at the police at the door to go away. That they were lying.

"Matty woke when the door slammed. Mom wouldn't help her. She was just sitting on her knees on the ground. I got Matty out of her crib and carried her downstairs to mom.

"Th-that was the first time I saw her be that mean. She yelled at us. Told us we were nothing but brats and that it was our fault Dad was dead. Mom said he had gone on a milk run because Matty and I loved to eat Lucky Charms in the morning. She told us in great detail what had happened.

"I tried to shield Matty as much as I could. I covered her ears as she wailed her little heart out. I couldn't escape because mom had us trapped in a corner.

"Mom finally stormed out of the house. I cried as I carried Matty back to bed. She wouldn't let go of me. I brought her to my bed and we tried to go back to sleep. Matty was successful but I couldn't get her words out of my head. That was the first nights of many that Matty and I shared a bed.

"Mom fell into bad habits. Drugs, men and alcohol were her favorites. By the time I was eighteen I was all set to move out and get custody of Matty. I had years worth of photos and videos of Mom being mean to Matty and I. The courts went in my favor. It didn't help Mom's case when she showed up to court drunk and high.

"I was awarded custody of Matty and we have lived our lives how we wanted ever since. I don't touch drugs or drink that much alcohol. I have never been drunk in my life. Matty deserves the best life has to offer. All she has ever known was hurt and fear and pain her whole life. The only love and good things she had were me.

"So, that's my story. Eight years of happiness and love, then twelve years of working my butt off to make ends meet." Talia sniffled. "What's your story?" She joked.

Kol was sitting as still as a rock. His face blank. Talia sniffed again and Kol snapped out of it. "I'm glad you are here, Darling. No one is going to hurt you on my watch." Kol pulled Talia into a hug. "I promise. You or Matty."

Talia leaned against Kol. "Thank you."

"Talia? I wanted to say something." Kol kissed her hair. "Talia I-"

There was a knock and then someone walked in the room. "Talia? I found the perfect spot for you to meditate to get a better plan. It's just around the-" Matty trailed off. "What did you do?" She glared. "I swear if you hurt her I'll-"

"It's fine Matt. He asked about Her." Talia wiped her eyes.

Matty's eyes went soft. "Oh. Well, the spot I found is in the garden. I spent some time clearing the weeds from this little patch by a small pond. I figured you could use the spot for your deep thinking."

"I'll be right there. Kol was about to tell me something." Talia made a go away motion with her hands.

"It's fine, Talia. It can wait." Kol frowned.

"Are you sure?" Talia nudged him in the ribs. "It seemed kind of serious."

"I'm sure. Go and do your deep thinking. The quicker you do that the quicker we can save the witches." Kol stood up. He pulled Talia to her feet. "I'll finish up in here Darling."

"If you're sure." Talia made her way to the door. She spun around and laid a quick kiss on his cheek. "See ya. You can tell me what you wanted to later."

Talia scooted past Matty and led the way down the stairs. "Come along Freak."

"Right behind you Psycho." Matty and Talia's laughter echoed down the stairs.

"I love you." Kol whispered forlornly to an empty room. He sighed. He finished by opening the windows in the room.

Kol watched from the window as Talia and Matty play fought their way to the garden. Looking at the sisters, most people saw a close relationship. Probably built from being sisters for so long. In fact, that was exactly what Kol had thought. Watching them now, he could see the looks Talia would often give her sister as if checking to make sure she was happy and protected.

Their relationship wasn't made from being so close for so long. It was made from suffering and heartbreak and pain. Talia had so much thrust upon her at such a young age that she never really got to be a kid. Sure, eight years might be most of her childhood, but it wasn't enough at the same time.

Kol made a vow that nothing would ever hurt those two girls like that again. He swore it on his life. While he did that, Kol could have sworn that the sun got just a bit brighter and warmer.

Author's note:

What do people actually think of this chapter?

I know it's not much, I'm trying to improve and need some criticism <4