[26] Gossip

Aisling needn’t have bothered agreeing to take things slowly with Sam. By the time she went down to breakfast the next day, it was obvious that their entire year already thought she and Sam were the school’s newest couple. 

“Sooo…” Mary probed over the toast rack. “You and Sam Matthews, huh?” 

“What about us?” Aisling asked evasively. 

“You’re like, official now.” Marlene said, smirking. “Gonna be honest, he doesn’t seem like your type.” 

“We are not official.” Aisling snapped. 

“But you’re going out with him again, right?” Mary persisted. 

“Yeah.” Aisling conceded. “But he’s not my boyfriend or anything.” 

“You might want to tell that to Lottie, then.” Marlene said dryly. “She is not happy with you.”

“Lottie Willows?!” Lily asked, alarmed. “What’s it to her who Aisling’s seeing?” 

“I’m not seeing-” 

“He’s her ex.” Mary cut across her. “They were on and off for most of last year, how didn’t you know this?” 

“Dunno.” Aisling shrugged. “I don’t really care who’s seeing who.” 

She looked pointedly at Marlene and Mary, who seemed unbothered. 

“Anyway, why is she annoyed at Aisling?” Alice said. “It’s not like they’re best mates or anything.” 

“She reckons that since they’re on the same team, Aisling should have showed her some ‘loyalty’ or whatever.” Marlene scoffed. “I told her she was being pathetic.” 

“Bet she took that well.” Lily chortled, standing up and slinging her back over her shoulder. “Come on, we’ve got Potions.” 

Aisling stood up too, making a mental note to stay away from Lottie Willows for as long as possible. 

***

It was easy to stay out of Lottie’s way during the day. They weren’t in the same year and therefore didn’t share any classes. Though it was hard to ignore all the furious glowering that was coming her way from a group of fifth year girls at lunchtime. However, they had quidditch practice that night, and it was no longer possible to avoid her. 

On top of Aisling’s moderate concern that Lottie might try and knock her off her broom, the practice itself wasn’t fun. The weather had been spectacularly miserable recently, and the wind and rain didn’t exactly make for ideal flying conditions. Eventually, after forty-five minutes of racing around the soggy pitch, even James had to call it a night. Aisling hurried into the changing rooms and snagged the closest shower cubicle, pulling off her robes and letting the warm water run over her. 

When she emerged from the cubicle, the changing rooms were empty, save for one other person. Of course, it was the one person that Aisling had been trying so desperately to avoid. Lottie glared at her, before turning her back on her and pulling on her jacket. She was about to walk out of the door, when Aisling spoke. 

“Lottie?” 

She didn’t respond, but stopped in her tracks and looked at Aisling questioningly. 

“I just wanted to say...I’m really sorry if I’ve upset you.” Aisling said, shifting awkwardly on the spot. 

“If?” Lottie snorted derisively. 

“I honestly didn’t know.” She explained hurriedly. “I had no idea that you two were…” 

“Well we aren’t, anymore.” Lottie said snippily. “So I guess it’s fine.”