Hardly Hilarious

December 24, 1944

6:50 P.M.

"On the seventh day of Christmas, my true love gave to meeeee: seven swans a-swimming, six geese a-laying—"

"Will somebody shut her up?" Draco muttered aggravatedly, violently shaking his wand at Lavender's back as she pranced ahead of Hermione, Harry, Ginny, Ron, and him. They continued walking down the second floor corridor and down to the Great Hall.

Harry paused his Quidditch discussion with Ron and helplessly shrugged at Draco, his emerald eyes mutedly twinkling in amusement. "Out of my league, mate."

"—three French hens, two-oo turtle doves—"

"You try getting her to stop without shooting a spell at her," Hermione ground out through gritted teeth, feeling the Amulet of Eras burn against her neck. Strangely enough, it had recently taken to doing that at random.

"Just watch me." Draco expertly twirled his wand around his fingers and took aim toward the hall that led down to the Slytherin Common Room, adding distractedly, "Give me a minute to summon my trusty beater's club—After all the work I've done with dear old grandfather, I've gotten good..."

Although she had grudgingly forgiven the blond Slytherin for his rather infuriating actions at the Holiday Soiree after he had pitifully begged her pardon that morning with a puppy-dog expression and a Shakespearean speech, Hermione gasped, aghast, not sure if he was serious or not. "Draco!"

"Relax, Nef, I wasn't going to physically attack her," he drawled, and the smirk that spread across his face proved to be far from reassuring. The front of his sleek platinum hair fell casually into his face as leaned over to her ear and darkly added, "Just whack a metal ball in the general direction of her head."

Hermione felt her mouth fall open before she could stop herself, and she took a small step away before mentally scolding herself. This was Draco! He must be joking. She hastily laughed in disbelief, shaking her head as she lightly punched his shoulder. "You wouldn't dare!"

"I wouldn't, wouldn't I?" Draco muttered some dark nothings under his breath and rubbed his temples as if in great pain. She furrowed her brows at his display. Hermione unsympathetically crossed her arms and stared at him.

Draco suddenly looked up before catching her gaze. "Merlin, Nef, cut me some slack, alright?" he exploded good-naturedly, spreading his arms out imploringly. He cocked his head at the Head Girl as if he couldn't quite understand why she didn't see things from his point of view. "She's been at it all bloody day!"

His split-second change in tone surprised her, but she decided not to comment on it.

"Fiiiiiiive GOLD-DEN RINGS!" Lavender trilled shrilly, throwing her arms above her head and twirling dangerously down the Grand staircase's giant steps, her long yellow skirt billowing out like a parachute around her legs.

She was about to respond to Draco when Ron reported none-too unwillingly, "Well, mates, I'm off," energetically tearing himself from the group and quickly bounding to his girlfriend's side. Hermione hadn't the slightest idea what he had planned—

"And a partr—Oooo!" Lavender squealed delightedly, giggling as Ron's mouth silenced her own.

—And there was her answer. Hermione winced and wrinkled her nose at the kissing couple, her more conservative side feeling uncomfortable at seeing someone she considered a brother being so affectionate in public.

"Oh, speaking of the days of Christmas," Draco snapped his fingers thoughtfully and slung an arm around Harry. "Evans, I need to use your Invisibility Cloak."