TWENTY-SIX

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
' HE KILLED HIM . '

They arrived at Sissy's farm, dark clouds launching snow to the ground and Eddie squinted, pushing herself out of the car as Vanya followed. She moved forward, as her eyes danced over the scene, a furrow taking hold of her eyebrows.

'I'm going to take a guess and say this kid is definitely, err... advanced?' Eddie tried. Vanya moved to Eddie's side, her eyes softening as she stared at her.

'Ed?' Her eyes dropped to meet hers for a moment. 'Harlan,' Vanya paused, tucking her hair behind her ear. 'Harlan's got autism.' Eddie froze, blinking a few times before her eyes flickered to the building.

She did not reply for a moment, as she ran her tongue over her teeth. 'High-functioning?' Vanya remained silent, and Eddie's eyes moved back. She shook her head, causing Eddie to nod hers absent-mindedly.

A woman burst out of the barn, a large shotgun in her hands as she aimed her weapon at them. Eddie took a step forward, standing slightly in front of Vanya as she squinted.

'Get back, all of you! Just get the hell back!' Sissy shouted, brandishing her gun around. Eddie's eyes flickered to the ground as she slid her hands into her pockets.

'Sissy?' Vanya called, stepping out slightly from behind Eddie. 'What's wrong?'

'Carl.'

'What he do to you?'

Eddie's eyes flickered around the space before she looked to the ground. 'He killed him,' she whispered out.

'He's... he's dead. Harlan tossed him aside like a rag doll; same way you sent those policemen flyin'. What did you do to him? What the hell did you do to my son?'

'Sissy, we're here to help,' Eddie spoke calmly, her voice slightly lower than usual. 'Harlan is-'

'-Don't you dare tell me what my Harlan is! You're not taking my baby away!'

Eddie lifted her chin. 'That's not what we're here for, Harlan is in a state of distress. He's confused, he's scared, everything is too loud and too bright. But we can help him if you put the gun down. He won't leave your side. I promise. You have my word.' Sissy's breathing slowed slightly, her shoulders moving with the effort as she lowered the gun a little way down.

Vanya let out a breath as she moved to stand by Eddie's side. 'Look, Sissy, I found my family. These are my brothers and sisters.'

'Were you lyin' to me the whole time?' Sissy dropped the gun to her side.

'Of course not,' she breathed out. 'Look, I didn't know who I was, but now I do, and we're not the monsters they say we are. We did not kill the president. We're not terrorists. We're not here to hurt anyone.'

'Then, who are you?'

'Harlan's only hope,' Eddie replied.