Chapter 14- Teardrop Tea

An almost silent knock came from behind the door. You had just come back inside from your escapade with Rain in the snow and were changing out of your damp clothing and into your pajamas. Rain said he'd be up after he grabbed another change of clothes. It was wise of him to suggest to take off your freezing cold dress and soaking shoes, you were positively frozen to the bone. Your fuzzy-sock covered feet padded over towards the door, opening it quietly to be met with the frigid ghoul. 

     "Did you get caught on the way here?" You asked as you stepped away from the entrance to let him in. 

     "Nope, I took off my slippers 'cause they kept shuffling. My feet were stinging on the stone floors, they're so cold." He dropped his shoes to the ground and tugged them back on. You clicked the lock closed after clearing him away from it. 

     "You could have just picked your feet up a little higher." You chuckled. 

     "Tried, didn't work. It was quicker to just hold them. Did you start the fire yet?" You nodded your head. 

     "First one I've lit." You began walking towards your bedroom, Rain following behind you. 

     "Ever?" The flames had immediately begun to warm the room, even more so when you shut the threshold to your office and trapped in the heat. 

     "Well, in this room. My father used to let me light up the tinder when I was younger. I used to be a bit of a pyromaniac back in the day."

     Stepping inside the plain room, you were graced with heavenly hotness. 

     "Doesn't that feel good?" You said rhetorically. Shutting the door, you went to join Rain's side by the fire where he had already sat himself. 

     "Reminds me of my time in Hell... what do you mean you were a pyromaniac?" He did a double take, your words processing in his head. A light chuckle rose from your throat. 

     "Care for some tea?" You asked him. A kettle had been included in the bundle with your room, and inside of it was a small care package full of various types of tea. There were even little packets of sugar. 

     "I could use something to drink, yes please." Before Rain had come in, you filled the kettle with water from your bathroom tap (hoping it was semi-potable) and placed it right next to the burning logs. It was probably near boiling by now. Grabbing a small teacup on top of the mantle, you tore open the paper packaging of regular black tea and placed it into the dish, repeating this for your cup as well. 

     "Hold this please." Rain reached out to hold the cup as you poured the hot liquid into it. 

     "Did they give you this?" He asked. 

     "It came with the kettle, very thoughtful on their behalf. Sugar?" He shook his head with a small 'no, thank you'. You fixed your own tea before sitting next to him, placing the cup down only for a minute to wrap a blanket around yourself. You may have been in front of a fire but you were still freezing. 

     "Sorry, I never answered your question about the whole 'pyromaniac' thing-" You started again, Rain snorting, 

     "I was just going to ask again. Please, continue." With a cool blow on your tea, you sipped it lightly, deciding it was way too hot to drink. You distracted yourself with your story. 

     "Well, I use the term lightly. I had a phase where I really liked to play with fire. My mother kept wondering where all her matches were going, meanwhile I was setting tissues on fire and flushing them down the toilet." The ghoul hummed in amusement.